Chapter 45

"What do you mean you're not coming to the meeting tomorrow?!" Fugaku's grave voice resonated along the thin walls surrounding his parents' room. Itachi didn't flinch upon his father's reprimand, much less felt guilt upon his silent accusation. His main focus was his little brother. Could their father's yelling have woken Sasuke up?

"Just as I said, I have a mission tomorrow, I can't come." Sasuke had school the next morning, waking up in the middle of the night would affect the quality of his sleep and he would lag in class.

"Hm, and what is this mission about?" Fugaku asked in a rough voice.

A faint chakra appeared behind the door. Itachi sighed internally. Sasuke was indeed awake. "I can't tell, it's top secret." His eyes only revealed pure and utter disgust. Could you have at least a bit of consideration towards your son?

Itachi's mother was able to read through her son's expression, and she shared a worried glance towards her husband. Itachi knew she was not the kind of woman that would go against her man, but it disappointed him to see her take his father's side in a quarrel like this.

"Itachi, you know your position in the clan, yes?" His father's menacing Sharingan didn't have any effect on Itachi. He had grown accustomed to those eyes expecting only perfection from him. Ever since he had been enrolled into the Anbu, Itachi suspected his father only saw him as a weapon for the Uchiha Clan. 

Itachi pressed his lips into a thin line. I'm the leader's son. The heir of the Uchiha. "Mm-hm..."

"And I expect you know how important your participation in this meeting will be for the future of the clan. You're a pipeline connecting us to the center of the village..."

Itachi let his eyes wander to the back of the room. He was baffled by the fact that none of his parents was aware of Sasuke's presence. Although, it didn't surprise him, either. His father was so consumed in this so-called "Uchiha Uprising" that he seemed to forget he still had two sons and a family to take care of as well.

Of course, as Shisui had said, the clan was serious about the coup. It was a serious deal for his father that he were to attend the weekly assembly. But Shisui had asked him not to attend, and since he was inclined to stop the coup instead of participating in it, he would do as his friend asked.

"Do you understand what I just said?"

Itachi returned his glance toward his parents. What was he talking about again? Oh... right. Something about being the pipeline connecting the clan to the village. His eyes narrowed slightly. As one would say in simpler words... A spy.

"I can't. I won't dismiss my duty as a Shinobi for a clan meeting."

His father's rage could be felt even from outside the room. From his position, Itachi could feel his father's chakra pressing on him. Someone who was not a ninja could be easily crushed by the pressure. Again his eyes turned to the door. Is Sasuke okay?

"Oh? Yet you would easily dismiss your duty for a girl?" Itachi's heart froze for a second. "You spent last night in that girl—Hanako's—house. Thought you said you were on a mission as well?" His father had quirked his brow. "Do I need to remind you of your priorities, Itachi?"

Itachi saw his mother carefully stare at her husband.

"Should I have a word with her as well? Is she the reason you're dismissing your responsibility as heir of the Uchiha?"

Stop. Don't drag Hanako into this conversation, Father.

"Honey." Mikoto interrupted Fugaku, but a single of his father's glances her way forced her to shut up. Mikoto took a deep breath and crunched in her position, giving Itachi an apologizing look.