Chapter 15

The entrance to the Uchiha territory lay in front of the two girls. Amane led the way back to their zone in the Land of Fire. She was nervous about setting foot in her hometown for the first time after nineteen years, but Hanako didn't really give her a choice. Plus, she was right. Alone, it would be hard to survive if the war intensified —especially since the Uchiha were known to have become a lot more aggressive.

The Uchiha crest in several flags was spread along the territory, marking it as solely Uchiha. Houses made of wood could be seen here and there. "Houses are arranged to follow a certain hierarchy," Amane pointed. "Those in the outer territory belong to lower ranks of trained shinobi. The closer we move towards the center, the tougher shinobi we'll encounter. Also, in the center live those who are not shinobi but have political influence, and the leader."

Hanako looked around the area. There weren't many people around. "Is there a battle going on around?"

"Who are you two?"

Hanako and Amane turned to find two shinobi from the Uchiha Clan, fully armed to defend their territory. Those must be the lower ranks Amane was talking about. Their chakra is really close to regular Chuunin.

Hanako sighed in disappointment. She expected a little better from Uchiha from the Warring States Period, but at this rate it was more interesting to fight Kakashi head on again.

"Hey," Hanako grinned at them. "We are travelers. We are also from the Uchiha Clan, but we were born outside. Our parents died in battle, so we don't have anywhere to go."

The two Uchiha narrowed their eyes. "How do we know you're members of the clan?"

In unison, Hanako and Amane activated their Sharingan. Surprised, both men looked at each other. "We should give them a shot. They do have our visual ability." They nodded.

"We'll take you to the leader."

Hanako smiled, and looked at Amane. However, she still didn't seem convinced at all. In fact, she kept staring at a distance, waiting for someone to appear.

Hanako had felt the walk pretty much calm. Since the lower ranks escorted them to the inside, they weren't threatened by higher ranks. That was until he appeared.

A guy with a long ponytail got in their way. A smirk decorated his young face. He seemed to be about Amane's age, probably a few years younger. The lower ranks stopped and stared at him with wide eyes. "Izuna-sama?! You're here?!"

Izuna?

Hanako looked again at the tall man.

He looks like an older version of Sasuke.

"Don't get in the way," Hanako muttered tiredly. "We're kind of in the middle of something."

The lower ranks looked at her with warning eyes. "Don't talk to him like that!"

Hanako raised an eyebrow. "Why? Is he the leader?"

They flinched. "No, but..."

"Then I don't care. Take us to the leader."

Izuna walked past the lower ranks and glared at Hanako. Amane thinned her lips. "Kid..." she muttered carefully. "You really shouldn't mess with him."

"I'm the leader's son." Izuna narrowed his eyes. "And I will decide if you get to meet him or not."

Hanako smirked.

Amane closed her eyes and sighed loudly. "I beg your pardon, Izuna-sama. My little sister doesn't know how to keep her mouth shut." She finished her phrase with a glare towards the younger girl.