Chapter 2

Shisui finally returned from his mission in Kirigakure and was allowed a break from the Hokage. He decided to help Hikari that day with their new project. He named it the "Reincarnation Project" but Hikari had refused to let him baptize it that way. He still referred to it that way in his mind.

Shisui invited Hikari to his house for the day. He lived alone after his father passed away but her company allowed him to ignore the loneliness. "So," he stared at the girl sitting by the kitchen table, reading carefully a scroll he just gave her. "What do you think?"

Hikari met his gaze. Her obsidian eyes were serious. "Where did you find this? It seems legit."

The tips of his lips curled up into a smirk. "Oh, it is." He leaned back on the chair he was on, and shrugged. "I might have followed your sister's example and stole it from the Uchiha Library."

Hikari's eyes widened. "Are you crazy? What if Fugaku finds out about this?"

"He allowed me total freedom as long as I get results." His tone was calm. "Besides, we do have someone else to worry about."

Hikari focused back on the scroll Shisui stole. "Danzo?"

"Yes." Shisui sighed. "I think he's onto something, and I'm sorry to put you in this place Hikari, but I think your father's death was a set up."

The girl looked up. "He died on duty."

Shisui took a deep breath. "I should have told you this before, but I will now. When I caught up with Hanako and the Tsuchikage, he said that they had been warned by someone from Konoha about where your father would be. It was like someone was asking them to get rid of him." He chuckled. "I know this sounds crazy but I can only think of one person who wanted your father dead to clear his path."

Hikari felt everything crumble around her. "Does Hanako know it was Danzo?"

"No. It would be chaos if she or Fugaku found out."

"They would attack the village. They won't stop until they get the Hokage's head on a silver platter as a reward."

"Precisely." Shisui felt the tiredness in his body, slowing his movements. "Danzo doesn't know I know, or else I will also be a target."

"But he threatened you, didn't he?"

"He wants Hanako dead. That's all I know."

"I think he wants all of us dead," Hikari blurted. Shisui gave her a questioning look. "I mean, the cameras, the Anbu wandering the borders of the compound... They put the blame of the Kyuubi attack on us and cast us out of the village. I think all of this is part of a big scheme, Shisui."

"How did you know about the cameras?" Shisui narrowed his eyes. That was something only he and Fugaku knew about. If the senior police men knew about it, their uprising wouldn't be stopped. They had already enough reasons to disrespect the village.

"Hanako told me. She saw them on her patrol while on the police, but when she asked Fugaku about them he asked her to keep it a secret."

"She did a wonderful job keeping it to herself."

Hikari frowned. "There aren't secrets between Hanako and I. The bond we have as sisters is far more important than anything."

There was a ghost of a smile on Shisui's face. "A bond, huh?"

"I know you're an only child, Shisui, but I think that bond you and Itachi have is similar. You care about him like a little brother."

Shisui felt something warm in his chest when he thought of Itachi. The first time he saw him, Itachi made him remember his dreams as a kid. He wanted to be the best, the most powerful Uchiha, so he could look at his father and say: 'Hey dad! I did it! I became a famed shinobi just like you!'