Chapter 24

The meeting room appeared big when there was no one inside. Hanako could feel the leader's seriousness fill the empty space among them. She had no clue what the motive of their sudden reunion was, but her sixth sense told her it had nothing to do with Utah or the stone.

She remembered the detailed explanations their teacher would give them in the Academy about the wars between clans before the existence of hidden villages. And given the era she had been living in for the last couple of months, she expected the worst.

"A petition arrived this morning," said Tajima. Madara didn't say anything, but his lips curved up slightly. "The Land of That took over the Land of Ancestors shortly after Utah destroyed his castle. Upon his disappearance, the villagers had no other choice but to join their country, but they still aren't satisfied. They want us to take over the Land of This for them."

Hanako clicked her tongue. I knew it. They're going back to the battlefield.

"I totally understand if you're reluctant to join in, Amane, Hanako. However, I would like both of you to lend us your powers to fight this battle. The Land of This hired the Senju to protect them. You should begin a more rigorous training if you're concerned about your current abilities."

"The only thing I'm concerned about is someone actually naming two countries as 'This' and 'That'."

Amane snorted. Hanako didn't laugh at her own joke but looked at the leader in complete seriousness, as if she actually meant what she just said.

"Our enemy is the Senju Clan. Three months ago you trembled at my presence, but you still haven't actually faced a member of the Senju. Regardless, you haven't come across the Wood Release, Hashirama Senju's most feared chakra nature. If you don't feel like risking your life, I suggest you stay here." Tajima was very calm, but the tone in his voice reflected his seriousness.

Now it was Hanako's time to snort. You haven't come across the Wood Release, you say? If only you knew... Besides, why would I stand back if I'm given the opportunity to watch the abilities of the First and Second Hokage first hand?

"I'm in."

Amane shot her an incredulous look. "You're joking."

Hanako narrowed her eyes at the other woman. "Why would I joke about this?"

"Weren't you listening? This is a real battlefield, you must be willing to risk your life."

"So? I signed up for this when I became a ninja. I don't fear death." Hanako crossed her arms in front of her chest and huffed. "Moreover, Tajima-sama, I have faced members of the Senju Clan."

Madara remembered that time they had been attacked by the Senju and Hagoromo Clans. "Yeah, but those were the weaklings. The real deal is always in the battlefield." His expression was that of a little kid excited for a birthday party.

"Well you know Tobirama," Izuna smirked. "Although he kept his chakra low that time. He's also one you should be aware of, especially of his Flying Thunder Technique." Hanako could feel an intense glare directed towards her, but intended for someone else. "The moment he notices you in the battlefield, he will target you. I think you should sit this one out. You're not ready to fight him."

"Not to say, you have to stay alive if you want to go back home," Amane added innocently. "Just saying."

"What makes you think I'll die so easily?"

Madara was the one who replied. "Because you're a novice. You might be strong for an average girl your age, but you lack experience in battle. You're reckless when fighting; you attack upfront without assessing your opponents abilities. Taking you to the battlefield is like giving you a one-way ticket to hell. I agree with Izuna, you're staying here. Amane, you too. Someone has to make sure she doesn't follow us."