Chapter 13 - The Warring States Era

Second day since the arrival in the Land of Fire.

I have learned that in this place there's people that could help me find a cure for mother's sudden sickness. The Hagoromo Clan has shinobi that excel in the clinical area. They will certainly know how to treat her.

Problem is, they must not know who we are. They must not know our lineage, or they will kill us without mercy. My mother wasn't a shinobi, but my father was. We belonged to the Uchiha Clan, but when I was born, my father refused to watch me grow in a clan showered with blood.

He did teach me stuff about being a ninja, but he shortly died after protecting my mother and I from some ninja of the Sarutobi Clan. It's been my mom and I since then. Until she became sick.

I am desperate to save her. Without her, I'd be alone. I would have no one.

"Amane?" The girl lifted her head upon hearing her mother's raspy voice. Forgetting the piece of paper on the table, she immediately went to gather some simple herbs for a tea.

"Hold on, mother. It'll be ready soon."

"Just leave me here and go."

Her voice was soft but the message was firm. Amane stopped what she was doing and looked at the woman lying down on the floor.

"I can't do that..."

They were hiding in a small abandoned cabin, and they only had a bunch of old covers they rolled up to use as pillows. At night, they would cuddle to avoid freezing to death.

"I'm only a burden to you," her mother's voice broke. "I can't stand looking at you like this, Amane. I can't stand knowing that I'm the reason you haven't been able to live your life. You're almost nineteen now, and you don't have a single friend... you have to live."

"I don't need friends as long as I have you." Amane kneeled next to her mother's body. She was too sick now. Probably, if she did manage to infiltrate into the Hagoromo Clan and find someone to help her, it would be too late. But Amane still had hope. "Mom, I love you."

Tears were gathering in Amane's eyes, but her mother smiled. "If you love me, then let me go. If you want what's best for me, then end my suffering right now and live. I'll be happy when I know you're happy."

"How can I be happy without you?"

"You'll find someone else to share your happiness."

Amane couldn't understand why her mother was making such a request. She couldn't conceive the possibility that she wanted to die to set her free.

I let her be. I thought that silly request of hers was just a manifestation of her dementia. Maybe she was just too sick and imagining things.

However, she kept asking me to kill her every day. For days, weeks and months. I failed to infiltrate into the Hagoromo Clan and the worst happened. I had to leave her behind. It wasn't possible for both of us to escape.

She asked me to leave her, and I did. I was the worst daughter. I couldn't do anything to protect her. In the end, I killed her.

"What kind of soap opera is this?" Hanako gave Hikari the scroll back after reading the first passages. "That's how her story begins? With the death of her mother?" Hanako rolled her eyes. "I want to hear about her abilities not about her life. I've got one of those too."

Hikari sighed and closed her eyes. "Why are you such an annoying little bitch? This is your ancestor, you should be excited just by getting to read her diary."

"I've got more important things to worry about right now."

Shisui watched the two sisters arguing before taking the scroll from Hikari and opening it completely. "Here's the explanation of Amane's Mangekyou." Hanako looked at him. "Like you just said, maybe we don't have enough time to dwell on her life, but we do have time to understand the origin of her abilities.