Chapter 3

"Itachi, I have a mission for you," said the Third Hokage when Itachi walked into his office.

"Yes, Hokage-sama." He nodded.

"I know it's been only six months since you became a Chuunin, but I've received a recommendation for your promotion." Itachi looked up at the elder. "The Council and I agree that you're fit to become an Anbu."

Itachi remained calm, but there was something in his gut telling him it was wrong.

The Hokage sat up. "Your father has already been notified. Most of our new members are evaluated within a solo-mission. However, due to your age I will allow you to bring someone with you. Whoever you want, just make sure to pick the right person to complete the mission."

Itachi was slowly downing the Hokage's words. This could be one of his father's sketches, there was probably a whole plan behind his promotion. But yet, he couldn't help but feel a little proud of his achievement.

"This mission... what's it about?"

The Hokage picked a small scroll from his desk.

"The mission is simple. The Feudal Lord of the Fire Country asked for you specifically to take this mission, Itachi. He became interested in you after he saw your match in the Chuunin Exams." The Uchiha smiled slightly. "You are to escort his daughter to the border of the Fire Country. There, shinobi of the Water Country will receive her. The mission is labelled an A-rank. We believe there's a group of B-rank criminals that seek to abduct the girl and then exchange her for a numerous amount of money. Beware."

"How old is she?" Itachi asked.

"Thirteen. She's going to meet the Water Country's Feudal Lord's eldest son. They want to arrange a marriage in order to create peace between both lands." Hiruzen sighed.  "The problem that gathers our attention out of this negotiation is the Village Hidden in the Mist. Lately, we've been hearing a lot of trouble coming from their shinobi." He smoked from his pipe and looked at Itachi. "Remember Itachi, the result of this mission will guarantee your enrollment into Anbu." The boy nodded.

"Yes, Hokage-sama."

* * *

Itachi was heading back home after speaking to the Hokage. The mission had even a lower layer he wasn't supposed to talk about, except the person he chose to bring with him. Now who could that be?

Itachi sighed. For anyone who asked, he was just going on an escort mission to the Land of Water, but he could only reveal the real mission to his partner. Itachi felt something tight in his gut. It was such an important mission, it wasn't someone to be taken lightly. And the one he chose to bring with him couldn't be just anyone either. It had to be someone fit to the job, someone who wouldn't be controlled by cowardice.

He had only two clear options: Hanako or Shisui.

Sasuke suddenly jumped out of a bush and landed right in front of his brother with a kunai in his hand.

"Nii-san! It's time for training!" Itachi sighed. He knew he had to get ready for his mission.

"I'm sorry, Sasuke..."

"No, no, no!" Sasuke shook his head. "You promised! You promised you'd teach me the Shuriken Jutsu! Don't make promises you won't keep!" Sasuke looked up at his brother with inflated cheeks. Itachi only chuckled at his childish attitude and poked him on his forehead.

"I want to train with you, but I have an important mission tomorrow and-"

"Mission, mission...it's like that's the only word you know, Nii-san. Every day's the same. 'I have a mission'..." muttered Sasuke while crossing his arms over his chest, looking at Itachi with a frown. "Hanako-neechan told me the same thing. 'I'm sorry Sasuke, I have a mission'," he spoke with a high-pitched voice, mimicking the girl's, which made Itachi chuckle.