Chapter 9

Itachi and Shisui walked into the main house in the Uchiha Compound in the middle of the night. Fugaku had left a note saying that he was holding a clan meeting at the time and Hanako was there taking care of Sasuke in their absence. Itachi lifted an eyebrow at the note and checked once more the time on the clock. It was late, and he figure that they both should probably be asleep by now.

"I'll be right back," Itachi said to Shisui as he headed up towards the bedroom area. Shisui just nodded as he sat on the living room.

Itachi went into Sasuke's bedroom first and carefully opened his door. Sasuke was fast asleep and carefully tucked under the covers. He was sleeping with a smile on his face, which made Itachi smile at the sight. He closed the door carefully without making a sound, before walking to his room and repeating the procedure.

"Took you some time..." A female voice muttered softly to him as he entered the room. Hanako was wide awake, lying over his bed with her arms crossed under her head as a pillow. She was staring up into the ceiling but turned her head to look at him once he walked inside. "How was your mission?"

Itachi rose an eyebrow at her. "It's late. You should be sleeping." Hanako just shrugged.

"I guess I'm not tired." Itachi rested his side on the door frame as he crossed his arms in front of his chest to look at her.

"The mission was completed. That's all I can tell you." Hanako smirked and looked back at the ceiling.

"I'd better get going," she stood up from the bed.

Itachi straightened up. "I'll walk you home."

"No need. You shouldn't leave your brother alone," she said.

"He's not alone." Shisui suddenly came into the room. "I'm sorry, I was starting to get bored."

"Shisui," Hanako smiled slightly and bowed as a greeting.

"You guys go," Shisui said to Itachi. "I'll stay here with Sasuke, and get some rest in the meantime." Itachi nodded and motioned for the brunette to follow him as he exited the room. Hanako walked slowly after him, but when she was about go past Shisui, he placed a hand on her shoulder, making her stop.

"Did anything happen while we were away?" He looked at her with eyes full of concern. Hanako looked up at him and shrugged.

"I'll talk to you later," she said in a lower voice and pressed her lips into a thin line as Shisui's eyes widened. Shisui watched Hanako walk out of the house after Itachi and sighed.

* * *

Itachi was awfully quiet. Hanako studied him as they walked in a slow pace towards her house, which was far from his. She lived almost at the border of the compound, close to the forest and the Library.

Itachi could tell that Hanako had been staring at him, and when he went to meet her gaze she quickly looked away. "What's with you?"

Hanako slumped her shoulders. So cold.... What happened in that mission?

"You're unusually quiet, what happened?"

"I told you, I can't talk about it with you."

"Why not? It's over, isn't it?" Hanako looked at him. Itachi kept looking at her with firm eyes. "I know the type of missions we're assigned to for evaluation. I'm an Anbu myself."

Itachi sighed, looking away. "I just don't want to talk right now. I'm tired."

Hanako smiled slightly. I was fit for the Interrogation Department, so I was assigned to infiltrate into Orochimaru's hideout and get information out of him. That man was really dangerous...