Chapter 4

It was nighttime when Hanako left the Uchiha Shrine. Fugaku had summoned her and Shisui to the secret meeting place.

"This is not precisely a meeting, but there's something you should know," he explained once they stood in front of the seventh tatami. The stone rose slowly, revealing an entrance. "It's about Itachi," Fugaku continued as Hanako followed him down the stone stairs. The entrance closed behind them. When they reached the room, Hanako looked at Shisui. He was standing in the middle of it, eyeing the monument stone.

"What about him?" Hanako asked as she eyed the leader suspiciously. Fugaku turned to look at her with his Sharingan. The fire from the torches lit the room dimly.

"Itachi has been recommended to join Anbu." Hanako's eyes widened.

"Anbu?"

Fugaku nodded. "His enrollment will be assured according to his performance in his mission tomorrow," he explained. Hanako looked at Shisui, but he was staring at the ground. His attention had been withdrawn from the stone. "I will go with him to make sure he gets into the Anbu."

Every time Fugaku mentioned Anbu, Hanako felt a pang on her chest. How could he speak so easily about letting Itachi into the Anbu?

"Hanako, I know you're working under Ibiki in the Anbu." Fugaku's words were stern. "I also know you mastered the Mangekyou." She flinched. Shisui had told her to make sure no one knew about her eyes, but he seemed to trust Fugaku to know. "I recognize you are one of our most powerful members, the Mangekyou isn't an easy achievement, and almost no one is fit for it. Make sure to give it the right use." Hanako nodded. "Before being an Anbu, you are a member of the Uchiha Clan. Remember that."

There was a bitter taste in her mouth. "Yes, I know."

"What about tomorrow's meeting?" Shisui interjected. "I think the leader shouldn't skip it."

"It can be postponed."

"Really," Shisui finally looked at him. "Let me go with Itachi. I think it'll be the most comfortable for him."

Fugaku narrowed his eyes. "I think Itachi can make that choice."

Shisui smiled. "Of course, he can."

"Wait a moment," Hanako stood in between the two men. "Who recommended Itachi?"

Fugaku sighed. "Danzo did, with my permission." Hanako looked at their leader with suspicion. "You work for the Intelligence Division, you have access to all records from Konoha shinobi, Anbu included." She already had an idea where he was heading. "Once Itachi joins Anbu, he will become our spy. We will have eyes and ears inside the government."

"What for?" she asked.  "Are you really going to go with the Clan's wishes? Do you really think this is the answer?"

"Listen to me, Hanako. Take a look." Hanako looked away from him, not wanting to believe what she was hearing. "Everyone in the Clan is miserable. We were forced to move out of the center of the village. Far from stores, far from hospitals, far from restaurants, far from everyone else. Civilians only criticize our role as the Police Force and question our authority. Behind the lie of our auto-determination, we were cast out of Konoha a long time ago. According to the village's council, we're nothing but outsiders invading their territory."

Fugaku approached the stone, Hanako looked at it while following his movements. She wondered if Fugaku could read what was written there. "Once I'm Hokage, I will change all of this. I will build a village that doesn't cast anyone out, and doesn't discriminate on who to protect."