Chapter 44

Shisui's sudden appearance was unnerving. Hanako had followed him silently down the streets, as they made their way to the lake within the Uchiha Compound. Whatever news he had to share, they had to be disconcerting enough to keep him tight-lipped during the entire walk.

At the lake, Hanako walked down the dock and sat down at its far end, staring at the calmness of the water and the small waves the wind produced with its blow. It was a little after 4 a.m. The sun hadn't gone up yet, but the sky was beginning to lighten. In the partial darkness, Shisui's eyes were glowing a deep red, filled with silent melancholy. Her own red eyes were focused on the ripples caused by dew water droplets falling on the lake's surface.

A small yellow flower drew Shisui down to the shoreline. Upon realizing it was a daffodil, his lips curled up into a smile. "Do you remember that day, during the Chunnin Preliminaries, when you ran away from the Arena after Shun's death?" he asked.

Hanako glanced at him. Shun was a Genin from Iwagakure, who had died at her hand during the Chunnin Exams. That day, she had felt like a murderer. She had not intended to kill him, but unconsciously let the kunai pierce his heart and cause a fatal wound.

Shisui was staring at the flower in his hand, carefully roaming his eyes down every petal.

The girl let her eyes wander back to the lake. "You were the one who comforted me that day. Told me that whenever I was feeling troubled, I should smell a flower and let it take my pain away."

"Sometimes, it just doesn't work, right?" His voice faltered as he let himself take a deep breath, inhaling the flower's scent. He closed his eyes, muttering to himself. "If the trouble is too much, it just... doesn't work..." he let the weight of his hand drag his arm down and let go of the flower.

Hanako followed it with her gaze. The daffodil slowly fell from his hand, danced within the blowing wind, and hit the water, blurring her reflection. "Shisui... what's wrong?" she asked slowly. It hurt. It hurt seeing him like this. So broken, so pitiful. Her eyes moved back to him, but Shisui had not moved from his position.

"I'm...sorry..." His voice was barely audible. "I can't let Itachi see me like this... He looks up to me so much. It would feel wrong to break down in front of him."

Hanako's gaze softened.

"I'm sorry you have to see me like this, Hanako. Pathetic, isn't it?"

Hanako stood from the dock and walked over to the shore next to him. She sat down by the lake and let out a long sigh. "Let it all out," she said. "Scream. Shout. Jump into the water. Whatever you want. I'll be here with you the entire time."

Shisui stared at her. His eyes, red and teary, held so much sentiment that Hanako felt her stomach hurt. He then smiled softly and crunched his legs into a sitting position. "Thank you."

She smiled back at him. Shisui had always been a shoulder to lean on, but who was his support? It was moments like these when she remembered that Shisui was as much as troubled as she was, much like every human being was at some point. She then dared to ask, "Is it about tonight's meeting?"

For a moment, he didn't say anything. He had closed his eyes and taken deep breaths. He then took off his forehead protector and held it tightly in his hand. The wind blew, pushing back his dark curls away from his face.

Hanako wouldn't push him to talk, but she had a vague idea what would happen in today's assembly. After all, hours prior, she had witnessed the Senior Officials buying weaponry from Obito. "Shisui... there's something I need to tell you."

This time Shisui lifted his head and looked at her.

Hanako pursed her lips before meeting his eyes. "Earlier today, I saw Inabi and Yashiro buying weapons from a masked man in Akagahara. I think, they will carry on with the coup."