Chapter 43 - Shisui Uchiha

Clouds surrounded the moon. The sound of falling water filled Shisui's ears. He let the water drag away his sadness after spending the whole day at the hospital in Hikari's room. She woke up only briefly, but fell asleep too quickly. He had never seen her so sick. Not even the doctors knew what was wrong with her.

You should stop coming, I will not get any better.

Those words had managed to destroy him a little. It was like she knew exactly what was wrong with her, but chose to remain silent. Still, everyday he would find himself walking down the path straight to the hospital, and she would always see him sitting beside her bed. Any chance he got, he would question her motives and whatever she knew about her condition. If it was an illness, if it was contagious, if it were related to any of their discoveries. She would remain quiet and then drift back to sleep.

That afternoon, Hanako visited her too. She also wanted to know what was going on with her sister, but she didn't wake up while Hanako was there. They discovered she couldn't check the memories of someone who was asleep. Hanako's ability required eye contact, but during sleep the brain ignores impulses from the optical nerves—meaning the connection to her memories would not be viable.

Having the feeling of someone watching him behind his back, Shisui turned slightly to see Itachi from over his shoulder. "Oh? Look who showed up?" His lips morphed into a taunting smirk. "Wanna explain what exactly happened last night?"

Itachi sighed, already knowing that Shisui wouldn't let him get away with it. "I'm sorry, I left you alone."

Shisui scoffed. "You're not sorry." He chuckled. "Come on, I wouldn't be sorry either. We do that kind of stuff whenever we like someone." Itachi noticed the small smile on his face.

"You and Hikari-san?"

Shisui didn't answer right away. He was staring at the ground, sadness clear in his eyes. "She's been in the hospital ever since they left the last meeting. I knew something was wrong with her since we woke up in the woods. She knows what's wrong, she just won't tell anyone about it and sleep all day."

"Shisui..." Itachi pitied.

"I haven't told her how I feel about her. Seeing you kind of motivated me," he laughed sadly. "I just haven't had the chance. I get scared whenever she wakes up, but by the time I gather the courage, she's already unconscious once again."

"Tell her even if she's asleep. Maybe she will hear you in her dreams." Itachi offered a bit of advice, but he wasn't sure if that was going to help his friend. Maybe it sounded dumb.

But Shisui smiled. "Thanks, Itachi." He dragged his eyes up at the moon. "So, you and Hanako, huh?"

"Well, technically we're not official yet, but I plan to make it official once the uprising cools down..." His words died down, feeling a sudden tension coming from his friend.

"What if it doesn't cool down?" Shisui asked.

As if he hadn't considered the possibility, Itachi felt like a ton of bricks had been dropped over him. He couldn't find the words to speak, and Shisui's gaze on him didn't make it any better. Suddenly, his friend chuckled.

"You didn't even consider the possibility of failure, Itachi?"

"I..." Itachi closed his eyes, not able to look at him. He had been too optimistic, the last clan meetings were indeed pinpointing to the coup, and yet he still blindly hoped they would all retract. "I did not think it through... I guess it really will be difficult to find those who think like us."

"No one does."

"Huh?" Itachi looked up at Shisui. His friend was already staring once again at the moon.