Chapter 21

Akira gulped, focusing her eyes once again on the man in front of her: Kenzou Senju, Hanako's biological father. She opened the door for him to come in.

They sat in the living room with a cup of green tea. Kenzou leaned back on the chair as he stared at the woman before him. It had been more than twelve years since he had last seen her. "You're just as beautiful as you were back then. You haven't changed much."

Akira looked away. "How did you find out about her?" Her voice was so soft that Kenzou had to lean close to understand her words.

"How?" Kenzou shrugged. "Well, you could say news move fast, and I'm good at math." He smiled, the edges around his eyes wrinkling slightly. Akira closed her eyes when she felt butterflies in her stomach. She wouldn't fall for his charms again.

"She's not your daughter." Her words were blunt but Kenzou didn't mind.

"Yes, she is. She has my genes and blood, therefore she's mine too." Kenzou leaned closer to her. "You can't keep her away from me forever."

"She doesn't need a man like you in her life. You shouldn't have come here." Akira's voice broke.

"A man like me?" Kenzou lifted his brow. "You make it sound like I'm the bad guy around here." He smiled. "You didn't even bother to tell me you were pregnant, how am I the bad guy here?"

Akira snapped and looked up at the man with fierce red eyes. "I don't need you. Get out."

Kenzou's smile disappeared as he looked at Akira with stern eyes. "Why are you being so hateful towards me? Why are you ashamed of me? Why...?" His eyes caught a family photo, making him stop his word flow from his mouth. Akira followed his line of view with certain dread and closed her eyes upon confirming her suspicions. She heard the chair being pushed back and steps going towards the photo. Kenzou picked up the frame and huffed. "You were married?" he asked, sounding betrayed. The words were getting stuck in his throat. "Why didn't you tell me this...?"

Akira didn't say anything. Kenzou looked again at the picture. His eyes stopped on the man. He was handsome, like most Uchiha men were. "What's his name?"

Akira played with her hands. "His name was Yusuke."

Kenzou lifted his eyes. "Was?"

"He died...around a year ago."

He widened his eyes. "Oh... I'm sorry for your loss." When Akira didn't reply he continued to stare at the picture. There was a girl, older than Hanako. "You also had a daughter."

"She's Hikari."

"Hikari... she looks a lot like you." He smiled. "Reminds me of that fierce woman I met at the war and fell in love with."

Akira clenched her fists. "Kenzou..."

His eyes then fell on the other girl. With long brown hair and factions very similar to his. The moment he saw her, he knew that was his child. Tears filled his eyes as he ran his finger over the girl. "She... she is so beautiful." He smiled. "Is this... her?"

Akira stood and walked towards him. "Her name is Hanako." She smiled. "She looks just like you. She even got that annoying smile from you."

Kenzou laughed. "What's she like?"

Akira looked at the girl on the photo. "She's a really strong shinobi. She's what they call a prodigy, comparable even to the leader's son. However, the elders don't like her very much due to her heritage. They say a girl with chakra from two noble clans is dangerous for the village."

Kenzou scoffed and put the frame back in its place. "How can they fear something they have yet to know?" he muttered with a grin. "Who knows? Maybe she's the hero the village will need in the future."