TWENTY ONE

"There's a muggle-born in Slytherin?" Sirius spat with a disgusted tone.

"I know, weird," Remus muttered, lying on a sofa in the common room staring at the high ceilings.

"And she-"

"Protected him," Lily exclaimed.

"Poor kid," James muttered, earning him a small smile from the witch beside him.

"Yeah, I can't imagine-" Remus mused.

"If anyone can, it's you," Peter said suddenly.

"What?"

"To have a secret that makes you..." he said, trailing off as he noticed the glares that his friends were giving him.

"Dickhead," James mouthed. 

"It's alright," Remus said awkwardly. "Lily, er, knows."

"Knows what?" Sirius asked, playing dumb as they had all promised to if it was ever brought up.

"I know he's a werewolf..." Lily said quietly.

Sirius and James both started laughing, sneaking quick anxious glances at Remus.

"Lads," Remus grinned. "It's fine."

"She..." James started.

"I know," Lily said firmly, looking at the marauders.

"How?" Sirius asked.

"She worked it out."

James stared at her in awe, "you're so intelligent, Lily flower."

The witch smiled slightly at that and halfheartedly muttered a, "shut up, Potter," before getting up and leaving the four boys.

"She's in love with me," James said, smiling widely.

Remus chuckled, "I wouldn't say you're there yet, but that was definitely progress..."

"Agreed," Sirius smirked. "Look at you, Prongsy, growing up and becoming mature enough for Evans."

"We've always been right for each other... Maybe you can grow up for McKinnon now, Padfoot..."

"Marlene doesn't interest me anymore," Sirius said quickly.

"Why's that?" Remus grinned, "Parkinson?"

"Who?" Peter asked, his head suddenly snapping up.

"Persephone Parkinson... his bloody potions partner... Merin you're thick," James laughed.

"You and Parkinson?" Peter asked the boy sat opposite him.

Sirius shrugged, "sometimes."

"Interesting," he muttered, glancing down at the floor.

"Merlin, not jealous are you, Wormy?" James asked.

"Yeah, I thought it was Romilly you had eyes for," Remus laughed. "Especially now that she's a muggle-born defender."

"I don't care about that," Peter snapped, earning odd looks from his friends.

"What?" James asked.

"Romilly," Peter said quickly. "I don't care about Romilly."

"Just a joke, mate," Remus muttered.

"I'm going to bed," Peter announced, rushing out of the room.

"What's up with him?" Sirius scoffed.

"Fuck knows," James mused.

Remus and Lily had decided that he would ask Juliet Romilly about what they saw her do. He had initially begged Lily to speak to her about it, but the witch had pointed out that he saw her far more than she did. Remus wasn't entirely sure why he had agreed to ask her, he thought that Lily was on a quest to prove that Slytherins weren't all bad, which was a topic that Remus didn't particularly care about. However, Lily was keeping his secret, so he felt that he owed her something.