SIXTY FOUR

"Must we?" Marlene groaned, head in her hands over the table, apparently nursing an awful headache. 

"School starts tomorrow," Sirius said, rolling his eyes and sipping his tea with an amused smile. "And I have no books. Or robes that fit."

"It'll be fun! I love Diagon Alley!" Arabella smiled, winking at the Gryffindor and elbowing a very hungover Marlene. "We won't see each other much in school..."

"It'll be full of eleven year olds," the blonde witch grumbled, ignoring the witch's depressing statement.

Sirius glanced over at Juliet descending the stairs with her trunk in hand, "we've got big scary Juliet Romilly to scare them, not to worry Marl."

"Ha," the witch smiled. 

"Persephone," Lily said politely, standing up and gathering her things. "I'll apparate you, Sirius isn't to be trusted."

The witch smiled back awkwardly, and seemed to consider her next words before speaking.

"I'm- er- I'm going home."

Juliet's head shot up, "you're what?"

"Caius- he'll be-"

"Don't mention his name," Sirius said darkly. "What the fuck, Persephone?"

"I'm not as brave as you two. He's expecting me home. He won't protect me like Regulus does you, Jules." the witch said sadly, pulling on her cloak. "I'll apparate from the village, thank you, Marlene-"

"You tell me you're in love with me-"

"Sirius," she sighed, reaching for him. "Not now, please. Not here," she said, gesturing around at their friends. "This year we all have to be smarter than ever, I don't have a way out of this."

"So you'll marry him?"

"You've always known that," she looked around. "You all have. I'll marry Caius just as Juliet will marry Regulus."

Remus stiffened at Juliet's silence and slight nod and James sent him a comforting smile.

"It's our lives, it's been planned from birth." Persephone sighed, seemingly stressed. "Are you staying?" She asked Juliet.

"Yes, Regulus said to."

"You see," Persephone smiled sadly, looking at Remus who refused to meet her eye. "I'll see you at school, girls. Thank you, this has been so lovely. Probably our last chance for fun. I'll never forget it."

She stepped forwards to embrace Sirius but he stepped backwards and shook his head, retreating to sit on the arm of James' chair. 

Diagon Alley seemed a little quieter than usual, Juliet thought. Of course her head was plagued with Persephone's words, she felt the two of them were truly on different sides, she wondered if a friendship would cease to exist after Hogwarts. And then there was Remus. Truthfully, she didn't know if she had wanted it to happen, it certainly shouldn't have. He was there to help her, anything more would complicate her escape. Or compromise him. 

"The attacks," was all Remus had responded when she had commented on the less bustling streets.

The two lagged behind the group, an awkward and quiet air between them.

"You okay?" The witch asked quickly, knowing the answer.

 "Just thinking about Persephone. Feel bad for Sirius."

"Yeah," she echoed. 

"And last night, it just. Don't get me wrong, Romilly, I've wanted to do that for fucking ages-"