NINETY SEVEN

January, '92

Juliet and Severus sat together at the professor's table the day before students were meant to return, both had returned to Hogwarts before midnight, and neither seemed enchanted by James Roberts' party.

"Didn't expect Loony Lupin to show up," Severus muttered from beside her, his face contorting as he watched Harry Potter walk into the hall.

Juliet gave the young wizard a smile, before turning to Severus and rolling her eyes, "he's good friends with Anne, Roberts' girlfriend."

"The muggle," the man replied, still wearing a twisted expression.

Juliet huffed at him, as the only other professor her age, and the only other past Slytherin professor, the pair naturally gravitated towards each other. They were civil, certainly not friendly, but that was enough for the witch. She smiled watching Harry and Ron try to read a huge book, wondering what on earth they could be up to, and why they were seemingly forcing themselves to be interested in its contents.

When Snape spoke under his breath, Juliet followed his eyeline to see Professor Quirrell approaching, although there had been initial judgment on her part, and assumption that Severus was merely jealous, she too had begun to not like the man. Twice, he had accidentally called her Romilly, and no matter how much she, or indeed Severus, racked their brains, they could not figure out how he knew.

"P-P-Professor Sssnape," he said, nervously sitting down. "R-R- Juliet-" He said. 

Both professors ignored him, catching each other's eye and standing up from the table, and walking away. Severus paused next to Harry and Ron.

"That book from the restricted section?" He asked.

"No, Professor," Harry said defiantly, reminding Juliet so much of James.

"I don't believe you-"

Juliet sighed, "I approved them taking it out, Professor Snape," she lied.

"Yeah," Ron Weasley nodded, his mouth full of a chocolate frog. "She did."

"I see, Professor Blair," Severus huffed, following the witch out of the hall.

"Was he a death eater?" Juliet asked the man once they were in , repeating a conversation which they had had many times.

"I told you Blair, no. I don't remember him at all."

"Nor do I," she said thoughtfully.

"He's younger than us," Snape mused. "Could have been at Hogwarts when we were finishing?"

"He wasn't a Slytherin," she said, shaking her head. "Never heard the name Quirrell."

"He's a halfblood."

"We'd have known him, if he was in Slytherin. Perhaps he's just odd, Severus, we aren't in a war anymore, we don't have to be suspicious about everyone."

"There's something off about him," Snape snapped.

Juliet rolled her eyes and stood up, making her way to her own classroom. Truthfully, she did agree with Snape. Quirrell was strange, almost suspiciously so. But she couldn't even begin to fathom what could be going on, if anything. War was over. The Dark Lord was dead. What was there to worry about?

March

Remus Lupin hid his house with the fidelius charm after Anne's last visit. She looked at him with pity, and he felt embarrassed. He had no money left, and she could obviously tell. So, as soon as she left, he hid himself, making sure she wouldn't be able to find him, to pity him. He was okay for food, being able to steal fairly easily, but, with no muggle money or wizarding money, he couldn't afford medication. Full moons got worse, and the recovery became almost impossible. He felt as if every inch of him was scarred. They were deeper now, more prominent, harsher. Dittany couldn't fade them. He'd thrown all of the mirrors out, too, letting them smash outside. Every day he felt more and more like a werewolf, less human, less wizard.