SIXTY EIGHT

Sirius and James made stupid faces in their dorm mirror as Remus neatly tied his tie.

"Reckon I look fucking good in this hat," Sirius grinned, angling his graduation cap in different ways.

Lily Evans was watching the boys from the door, her eyes shining with tears, a huge smile on her face. James' muggle football posters and quidditch posters were gone, Sirius' guitar was packed away along with his many records (including the ABBA one she had given him for his 17th birthday), Remus' books were gone, and for once, Peter's side of the room was perfectly clear. Trunks were packed, beds were made, and walls were bare. 

The marauders ceased to exist here.

Peter buckled the final buckle on his trunk and sighed, putting his own graduation cap on, feeling an odd sense of finality. Although contact with Caius Avery had wavered since he told the man about Juliet's true birth, he wasn't sure how much longer he had with these boys. His boys. His best friends.

"Merlin's beard," Sirius sighed, sitting down on his bed, looking around. "Seven years, gone. Just like that."

Remus sat on his bed, opposite Sirius', James took a seat beside him and Peter opposite.

"Well, it's been a fucking pleasure, lads," James smiled, his eyes welling.

Remus put an arm over his friend's shoulder and he leant into him.

"These were the best years of my life," Sirius said seriously.

Peter laughed, "life is only just starting, Padfoot."

"Don't care, Wormy. I know it for a fact. These are the best."

Remus nodded, "I'd agree there."

"Ah, Moony. You've still got so much potential. Romilly won't be a Slytherin by next year. So you've escaped without having a Slytherin girlfriend, we were worried for a while," Sirius grinned.

"Ha. The real world doesn't like werewolves."

"Fuck the real world!" Prongs said. "We're all gonna be heroes after this war, no one will care, Moony."

Remus sighed, "I guess I'll worry about the real world after the war."

"Exactly," Sirius nodded seriously, before turning to Peter, "I found us a flat, near enough to Wizarding London, but in muggle London. Three beds."

James snorted, "thanks, lads."

"Found anywhere for you and Lil yet?" Remus asked, lowering his voice so that the witch in the room across wouldn't hear.

"Nah, she'll want to look too. Gonna wait to mention it. Other things to do first," he grinned.

"When's the big day?" Sirius asked, his eyes now filling with tears at the idea of James proposing.

"Ah," he replied. "A secret."

"Proud of you, Potter." He whispered.

"Truly, an incredible feat," Remus nodded. 

"Proud of you all, lads."

"Look at you, Padfoot, all emotional."

"It was that ruddy graduation, seeing Snape graduate, knowing I'll never see him again. It's got me all upset."

Peter snorted at that.

"Narcissa did a good leaving speech."

"Yeah, I thought so too," Remus replied, before turning to Sirius and asking, "are you going to try to see Regulus before we leave for Marlene's?"