FIFTY FIVE

Colin Jones returned to his uncle's house for Easter alone. Damien said that most Slytherins were staying over the holidays, having 'parties', he didn't want to stand out. He understood, of course, and was sure that the pain he endured was nothing in comparison to that which his younger cousin felt. He had no one to turn to day-to-day, and the one witch he did have, was the daughter of the man who had ruined both of their lives.

His uncle was peculiar, a muggle man who had never spent time in the wizarding world, but sure knew a lot about it. From his sister, Colin's mother, he supposed.

Juliet Romilly had posted Colin the photos of her own mother with his a couple of months before and he had resolved to show these to his uncle to see if he knew about Esmerelda Romilly. He hadn't told the other Gryffindor boys about it, he wanted to provide something solid and prove himself useful. They were all so brave, James and Sirius in particular, so willing to fight and helpful to the cause.

If he could find something out about one of the wizarding world's most prestigious families, he could be that valuable too.

He waited until the last few days of the holidays to say anything, his uncle was in the May sunshine when his grieving nephew approached him with the photos. He took one look at the two women and his heart wrenched.

"Where did you find these?" He asked softly.

"Juliet- er-" Colin pointed at Esmerelda Romilly, "her daughter showed me them."

"You know Es's daughter?" He spoke, even more quietly this time.

"You know Juliet's mother?"

"I did. What's the daughter like?" He pressed.

"Er- a bit of a nightmare actually... How did you know her mother? Her father-"

"Killed my sister," the man said miserably. "I know. Merlin. How complicated. I met Esmerelda through Mary."

"Were you close?"

Andrew laughed, "incredibly."

Colin scrunched up his nose, "you don't mean- fucking hell..."

The boy's thoughts were scattered, and as he pieced them together he remembered the rumours about Juliet, and her desperation to find out about the rumours surrounding her mother.

"You're the muggle," Colin said suddenly.

"Sorry?"

"The rumours about Juliet's mother. That she was killed for her involvement with a muggle."

The man opposite him rubbed his temples and swallowed heavily, not letting tears come to his eyes.

"I loved her."

"Merlin's beard."

"What's Juliet like?"

"Fuck me." Colin said, ignoring his uncle's disapproving looks as he recalled Remus mentioning uncertainty around her blood status. "You're her father."

Andrew groaned. "I'm sorry."

"Juliet Romilly is a half-blood." Colin said in shock.

"Would she be disgusted?"

"No, not anymore I don't think."

His uncle didn't speak again and all Colin could think about was how he needed to tell the marauders.

"I have to tell my friends."

"Is anyone who is going to get Juliet in danger going to find out?"

Colin laughed, "no uncle, I don't make fraternizing with Slytherins a frequent thing."

"Careful," Andrew spoke, "your cousin is in Slytherin."

When Colin Jones arrived through the fireplace at the Potter's, he found the marauders in a heated game of doubles wizard's chess, with Lily Evans trying her hardest to talk over the shouting men and umpire.

"Colin!" She smiled, jumping up when she saw him. "We didn't know you were coming."

"You can take over from Padfoot," James snapped, "he's cheating."

Sirius laughed and threw a pawn at his friend, "shut up, Prongs. How's it going, Jones?"

"Romilly is a half-blood," he said, looking directly at Remus.

"What?" He asked. "How do you-"

"She sent me photos, of her mum and mine, I showed them to my uncle." The boy sat down and rubbed his forehead, "fucking hell, he's her father. Esme said before she died."

Peter Pettigrew's mouth fell open and his mind skipped to Caius and taking down Juliet.

Sirius burst out laughing and was joined by James, "Merlin, Jones, a cousin in Slytherin and Romilly is basically your cousin-"

"Shut up, Sirius." Lily snapped. James was still chuckling and she turned her attention to him, "what's so funny?"

"I'm sorry," the man said, still between laughs. "The irony-" he started, stopping as she glared but smirking slightly as he caught Sirius' eye.

"She has to know," Remus said.

"So does somebody else," Peter thought to himself.

"You can't mention this to everyone," Remus started to Sirius. "Not Andromeda, not your brother-"

"Obviously, Moony."

"How will we tell her?" Colin asked.

James raised an eyebrow at the 'we', ever reluctant to involve people in the marauders.

"I have no idea."

"I think we have to wait until school, we'll see her next week." Remus said sadly.

"Should I be the one to tell her?" Colin asked.

"No, I will."

"I'm related to her, Remus, it's my uncle-"

"Let Moony do it," James interjected. "She'll take it the best from him."

"Alright," Colin shrugged.

Peter Pettigrew spent his evening writing a letter to Caius, telling him he was finally ready to step up, and enclosing the valuable lesson he had learnt from Colin Jones. He was sure that this made him indispensable and, something about Romilly's closeness to his friends made him want to take her down.

He'd never had these urges before, he simply wanted protection and to be on the side which he believed would live, but he knew now that he wanted Juliet Romilly to go down, and for himself to step up.

A/N I'm back????!!!!