FOURTY NINE

"Sirius, James," Fleamont Potter said, walking into the garden where the two wizards were playing a mini game of quidditch. "Letter. I assume it's one of your prank ones from Peter," he laughed, shaking his head.

"Thank you," Sirius said, barely looking at the man. "We'll read it later." 

"Alright," he shrugged, placing the envelope on the grass and returning to his wife in the living room. 

Lily Evans, who was quietly observing from the side with Remus Lupin, picked up the letter and turned it over,  shielding her face from the sun, her nose scrunching in confusion when she saw that there was no writing.

"It's blank," she said, looking at Remus. "Is that why Fleamont said it's a prank one?"

The man beside her held his hand out, gesturing for the witch to give him the letter, when he took it, he waved his wand over it, speaking quietly.

"Who-" Lily started.

"Juliet," he finished. "Prongs, Padfoot," he shouted over to his friends, cocking his head to beckon them. When they sat he spoke quietly, "it's from Juliet."

"How do you know?" James asked, taking the envelope which now showed his address from his friend's hands.

"The writing was hidden," Lily grinned.

Sirius sighed, "I forgot you showed your Slytherin girlfriend our tricks."

"Shut up, Sirius," Remus snapped back.

"There's two," James said, handing Remus and Sirius a piece of folded parchment each.

"Blank again," Lily smirked. "She's smart."

"You have to be to get anything out of that bloody place," Sirius scoffed, watching the writing on his reveal. His eyes widened when he saw whose name was signed at the bottom. "Narcissa."

Remus stuffed the parchment he was holding into his pocket, hoping that the group would forget about it, and stared at his friend, "read it."

Sirius,

I hope you're well and happy, I hear that you've spent all summer at the Potter's, so I'm sure that you are. I don't have much purpose for writing, it's just a sense of familiarity to have in this house. I'm okay, mine and Lucius' wedding date has been set for next June, I won't bother inviting you, if that's alright. Your mother and father are okay too, Orion is increasingly involved in the ministry. Regulus seems fine, he is becoming very popular in our circle. 

I want to discourage you from fighting in this war, I'm sure you want to be the hero, and are spouting nonsense about leaving Hogwarts early to fight and whatnot, but don't. Stay where you're protected, you have no idea how serious things are getting here. 

I've attached another letter here that I'd like you to send to Andromeda, please keep it private, I don't want your friends knowing our family business. 

All my love,

Cissa

"Well what the fuck was the point in that?" James snorted, looking furious. "Hey, cousin, just writing to remind you that I'm a death eater- just wait until Pete-"

"Maybe don't," Lily said quickly.

"What?" James asked.

"Nothing, just, why do we need to stress Peter out more? He's already crippled with anxiety over the war?"