FOURTY THREE

James Potter walked into the living room of his home where Remus Lupin sat talking to Lily Evans. The two were hunched over a book and laughing about something, James fiddled with the envelope in his hands, unsure whether to hand over something that would potentially ruin the mood.

"You okay?" Lily asked, noticing him hovering.

He smiled at her and then looked to his friend, "I'm fine, Lil. Letter for you Moony."

Remus looked up quickly, "Juliet?"

"Assume so..."

"Cool, er- thanks," he said, taking the letter and sitting back down to read it. He scanned it a few times and nodded, James and Lily watching him the entire time. "She's fine, she did get my letter. She's off to Regulus' now, though."

"She'll be okay," James nodded. "Quidditch anyone?" He grinned.

Lily tapped his arm lightly but did not manage to get any words out before Sirius ran into the room with a broom in his hand.

"I heard Quidditch?" He asked.

James smirked, "let's go."

"Moony?"

"I'm alright, I'll stay here with Lil."

"Come on, Evans." James grinned, "I need you to cheer me on."

"Your ego is perfectly capable of that, Potter." She smirked back, before turning to Sirius, "Remus got a letter from Juliet."

"Oh," he said, a bored edge to his voice. "How is Romilly?"

"Juliet is writing to you?" Peter asked, walking into the room with an eyebrow raised.

"Keep up," James said, slapping his palm onto the shorter boy's shoulder, making him flinch slightly.

"She's fine," Remus said, answering Sirius. "She's going to your parents."

"Oh, well, that's good..."

"No it isn't."

"No point moping, Moony. They all crawl back to their Slytherins eventually. Just look at Penny."

Remus rolled his eyes, "that's not the same."

"No? Penny was in love with me, or so she said. Has Romilly ever said that to you? Does Romilly feel anything for you?"

"The difference is that Juliet is a good person," Remus snapped. Lily beamed at him whilst Sirius scoffed.

"And Penny isn't?"

"Er- evidently not," James muttered.

"I think everything happening in those girls' life is far too complicated for any of us to understand," Lily said, standing up. "I thought I was watching some Quidditch."

James nodded and clapped his hands together, throwing an arm over Lily's shoulders, "you're in for a treat, Evans."

"I've seen you play before."

"This one is a performance for you," he winked.

"Oh- and who are the other ones for?" She smirked.

"Gryffindor," he said mock seriously.

"Did you find anything useful at your father's house?" Regulus asked the witch beside him in a hushed tone as they sat at a lunch table with Narcissa Black and Bellatrix Lestrange.

"Useful in what sense?" She asked back, sensing Bellatrix's eyes on her.

"There has to have been a reason you wanted to be there."