FIFTY

Juliet's return to Hogwarts was surprisingly normal, her lessons were dull, Slytherins and Gryffindors taunted each other, and people had stopped staring at her as if she was a murderer. "See, time really is a healer," is what Ophelia had said to her. She was shocked at how usual everything was, even Dumbledore was his usual cheery self in meal times, and she was sure that he knew how serious everything was getting. Her 17th birthday had been uneventful, houses weren't really mixing, she had a letter from her father, and nothing that she didn't already have from anyone else.

"I'm so glad he didn't put me with Sirius," Persephone said to Juliet as the pair left their NEWT potions class, which they were a year ahead in. "Or Peter, I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut."

"Well, you have to, or it'll get you killed," Juliet replied flatly.

"Merlin, will you relax? We're back at Hogwarts, let's just have fun while we can."

"You're right, sorry. I'm patrolling with Colin tonight," she said, pausing slightly.

Remus, who had successfully avoided the witch in all potions lessons, turned around from where he was walking in front of her when he heard her say that. 

"He knows it's not your fault, Romilly."

"Right, thanks," Juliet muttered as he walked away. 

"First interaction?" Her friend asked.

"And last."

"I doubt that," Persephone grinned, ignoring how her friend rolled her eyes. "Don't worry about Colin, you aren't answerable for your father's actions

The Gryffindor boy smiled at Juliet when they met outside the Great Hall for their evening patrol, he looked different, she thought, like he had lost a lot of weight.

"How was your summer?" He asked her.

"Fine," she said awkwardly. "It was warm."

"Yeah, it was. Were you still in England, or..."

"Yeah, with Regulus."

"Oh yes, I heard about your engagement, congratulations."

"Er- it isn't official. But thank you. Were you in England too?"

"Yes," he said stiffly. "Damien and I stayed with a distant family member. He was nice."

"Oh right, whereabouts?"

Colin gave her a look, "I don't really-"

"Of course, I'm so sorry. I didn't even think."

"Not that I think you're going to run back and tell your dad, but-"

"Oh, Merlin. Well, we've said it now. Are you okay?" She asked, stopping and turning to look straight at him.

Colin laughed nervously, "Juliet, we really don't have to- it impacted your life too."

"I wish my father was still in Azkaban for it."

"Oh, right," he said, looking around suspiciously. 

"Fucking hell, Jones, what do you think I'm ambushing you or something?"

"No, of course not," he sighed. "I'm okay, thanks for asking."

"I know it doesn't change anything, but I'm so sorry."

He smiled, "it isn't your fault, Juliet."

The witch smiled a little and held out a hand, "friends?"

"Frie-" he started, stopping when he noticed black ink poking out of the bottom of her shirt.