TWENTY SEVEN

Juliet was, for the first time all year, exceedingly glad to see that she had been paired with Remus Lupin for her first patrol of the year. Since the Gryffindoors had shown up in London on New Years Eve, Juliet had thought of little else. She was utterly shocked and furious. She was trapped there, never allowed to leave, but they treated it as if it were a game. It wasn't serious to them, to her it was. 

She had considered telling Regulus, and if it had happened a year earlier she certainly would have, but Juliet thought that his loyalties had probably shifted from keeping her secrets.

Of course, she wasn't sure how furious the Black's would be to know who had ruined their party. She had no idea how Walburga and Orion would react if they saw Sirius again, they hadn't mentioned him in front of her, he had been blasted off the tapestry, and there were no traces of him. Even the dent in the wall of the garden from Sirius flying into it during a Romilly/Black/Rosier quidditch game had been patched up. No one would ever guess that Walburga and Orion had a second son. Juliet knew that they would be furious to see a Potter on their property, her father frequently talked about what a let down their family was, but she had never heard a bad word said about the Pettigrews. And Lupin simply wasn't important enough to be talked about in the pureblood wizarding society.

"She'll kill me," Remus groaned, lounging on a sofa in the common room. The full moon had only been a couple of nights ago, and he was utterly tired from it still. The last thing he wanted was a confrontation with Juliet Romilly.

"If she wanted to kill you, she'd have probably handed you over to one of the death eaters she saved you from," James said.

"True," Peter and Sirius mused. 

"Okay, well I'm going to have to listen to her going on-"

"Tough life," Peter scoffed.

"Not over her, Pete?" Remus grinned. 

"Shut up, Moony."

Remus laughed, "I might just ask Lil to take my place."

James shook his head and a small smile emerged on his face, "unfortunately, I'm accompanying Miss Evans to the kitchens this evening."

Sirius grinned and slapped his friend on the back, "nice one, Prongs!"

"No way?" Remus laughed. "She's breaking school rules... to be with you?!"

James shrugged and tried to contain his smile. 

"Come on, did you bribe her?" Sirius asked.

James rolled his eyes. "Well... I-er- did tell her I have an invisibility cloak."

Sirius burst out laughing and leant back onto the sofa, Remus shook his head, grinning. 

"Here's us thinking you're getting somewhere."

James held up a hand, "Moony. I am getting somewhere. Go and be a prefect."

"Fine," Remus laughed, standing up and pulling his cloak on. "Don't let us catch you, she'd love that."

Remus could tell how furious Juliet was just by the way that she strode towards him, shaking her head and muttering under her breath. He ran a hand through his hair sheepishly and smiled at her slightly.

"...Hey, Romilly."

"Hi, Lupin," she said sweetly. "Do anything fun over Christmas? Crash any parties?"

He laughed nervously at that, "I- er- nothing too exciting."

"Really?"

"Look, I just wanted to say, then we don't have to talk about it-"