NINETY ONE

March, '88

Juliet had written to Dumbledore asking about the graves of James and Lily, and the witch had written to James Roberts, asking if he would come. The pair saw each other once every couple of months, he introduced her to friends who knew her as Juliet Blair, she expected they did recognise her from school, but felt too awkward to say, which was fine by her. He tried to convince her to join auror training, but she refused. They set up wards around her house where he would duel with her, reassuring her that she still knew magic.

When he arrived at her cottage on the beach he observed her red eyes and pulled her into him. 

"It'll be fine," he said quietly.

She paused outside Potter Manor and remembered Euphemia and Fleamont, they had been so kind to her. Roberts waited a few steps behind her, letting her take it in. He led her a different way than past James and Lily's house, not wanting her to see its current state. 

"I expect it'll be time for their kid to get his Hogwarts letter soon," James muttered.

"A few years, still." She replied. 

"Did you meet him?"

"Yeah," she smiled, thinking of the tiny infant. "I did."

When they reached the graveyard the wizard paused at the gate, "you go."

"You don't want to?"

He shook his head, "I've paid my respects to them, they were your friends. This is the first time you've seen them."

Remus Lupin apparated to Godric's Hollow after an argument with Anne. It was always about the future. He stared at the ground as he passed his friend's house, as he always did, pushing thoughts of Sirius out of his mind. He recognised the man stood at the churchyard gates, he walked towards him, noticing a figure at the familiar grave.

James Roberts stepped forwards and shook Remus' hand.

"James," Remus smiled, nearly choking on the name.

"Roberts is fine," he muttered, sensing the uncomfortableness. "Good to see you, Remus."

"Yeah, you too. Er- what are you doing here?"

James cocked his head at the dark head of hair knelt at the grave, Remus stumbled backwards a little as he realised who it was.

"Is that-"

"Here with Juliet."

Remus nodded and swallowed backing away slightly.

"You and her?"

"We're friends, she's living-"

"No," he said quickly, his eyes not leaving the dark hair. "I- I don't want to know."

James nodded, reading his expression.

"There were always rumours about the two of you, remember when you would always request to patrol with her." He said, feeling as if he had to know more about the pair, it had been something he was far too scared to bring up with Juliet.

Remus felt like he couldn't breathe, "don't tell her you saw me, okay?"

James nodded, "alright, mate. You been keeping okay?"

He was about to spoke when he noticed the witch turning around, quickly, he jogged away, hiding himself by a wall as she walked out of the church with her arm linked with Roberts'. She looked different but the same. Still beautiful. He breathed heavily, flinching as Roberts put an arm around her, his heart dropping as she wiped her eyes.