TWENTY TWO

Juliet stood shivering on the pitch on the day of the first quidditch match of the year. Although it didn't start until two in the afternoon, Flint had made them be down there for ten to talk tactics and have a final practice until the Gryffindoors arrived at twelve. The pitch was covered in snow and the visibility was awful, Regulus had told her in the morning that he was dreadful in snow so the witch wasn't optimistic about their chances of winning. Persephone hadn't walked down with her and Regulus and she had been up before Juliet was even awake. She showed up ten minutes late with Caius Avery on her side.

"What are you doing?" Juliet mumbled to her as Caius left to join Barty and Regulus.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean what are you doing with him?"

"Who?"

Juliet rolled her eyes, "Caius."

"He's my fiance, what do you mean what am I doing with him?"

The witch stared at her friend in utter shock, "are you taking the piss?"

"No."

"What's happened?"

"Nothing."

"I'm not fucking stupid," she said under her breath, watching as Persephone stiffened under her friend's glare.

"Just because I respect my marriage..." Persephone hissed back, pausing a moment before she spoke again, "unlike some of us."

"Bitch," Juliet muttered, walking away to join Regulus and Barty. "She's gone mad."

Regulus grinned, "what, just because she's decided to tolerate Avery?"

"He's a dick to her," she scoffed. "What's changed?"

Barty rubbed the back of his head and looked away.

"What do you know?" Juliet snapped at him.

He held up his hands in response, "nothing, Jules-"

"Jules?" Regulus mocked.

"Merlin, shut up, Regulus," Juliet said angrily. "Barty-"

"I don't know anything, I promise," he said.

"So I'm expected to believe that my friend suddenly accepts what a dick he is-"

"She's always been all over him," Regulus said calmly.

"You-"

"Maybe it's not any of your business, Juliet," Barty snapped suddenly.

"You're both knobs," the witch scoffed, picking up her broom and retreating back up towards the castle.

"Do you know anything?" Barty asked Regulus under his breath.

"I know that Parkinson's family is scrounging off Avery's," the boy muttered back.

Barty smirked, "classic. And Juliet doesn't know?"

"She hasn't said anything if she does."

"Would she even be her mate if she knew? That she was poor I mean?"

"Poor or not she's a pureblood-"

"Still, though," Barty said. "Juliet's a Romilly."

"A Romilly who talks to anyone she pleases," Regulus replied darkly.

"You speak to her about that?" Barty asked, following his friend up the steps to the stands.

"She's not stupid," was all that Regulus said in response.