NINETY EIGHT

June, '92

Juliet's final week at Hogwarts was filled with whispers amongst professors about what had happened with Harry Potter and Professor Quirrell, when Professor Dumbledore filled her in, as he had always promised to concerning her godson, the witch's heart dropped. 

"So he's not dead?" Juliet asked, looking between Dumbledore and Snape where the three sat in his office. 

"I've always suspected," Albus said thoughtfully.  "I think the Dark Lord's return will always be inevitable."

"So she died," Snape began, his voice thick, "for nothing."

Juliet felt herself tense a little at Snape's mention of her. The pair never discussed school days, or their pasts. James and Lily were a topic that she would not hear come out of the man's mouth, her fellow professor made his dislike for Harry Potter evident, and even that angered the woman. But Severus was her only familiarity, and she didn't want to lose that.

"The Dark Lord is not yet back," Dumbledore said. "And I do not believe yet that the threat is real enough to worry."

Juliet had her head resting in her hands, the idea that Voldemort had, in a way, been inside Hogwarts for a year with her, with Harry, was terrifying. Dumbledore knew that Harry was going to grow up in danger, yet he seemed wholly unconcerned. 

"And no, Severus, it wasn't for nothing. The reason Harry could defeat Professor Quirrell, and indeed Voldemort, at this time, was because of Lily Potter."

Juliet felt tears threatening her as she raised her head to observe the two wizards.

"Sacrificial protection," Snape breathed.

"That's why Quirrell couldn't touch him," Dumbledore confirmed.

"It's only Harry's first year here," Juliet said, standing up. "And Voldemort has already found a way into the school's walls. He didn't even personally manage to infiltrate Hogwarts last time. Potter is going to be in constant danger."

"That has been his fate since he was born, Professor Blair."

Juliet sighed, "he's just a boy."

"A boy who defeated Lord Voldemort," Severus said stiffly.

"We will all do what we can to protect Mr Potter, Miss Blair," the headmaster confirmed.

As soon as the pair was out of the headmaster's office and walking back down towards the classrooms, Severus paused, and checked that no one was around them before casting a silencing charm.

"That's why Quirrell called you Romilly."

"What?"

"The Dark Lord would have remembered you."

"But he didn't call you-"

"I go by Professor Snape, my name. And the Dark Lord died assuming my allegiance continued. You left well before and didn't even bother to attempt to play both sides."

Juliet rolled her eyes, "I was playing both sides for the entirety of school, Severus."

"Hm," he said, nodding and remembering Lucius Malfoy's constant suspicion towards the witch, remembering how she had defended Remus Lupin to him, and how she had refused, even with Barty, Evan and Regulus threatening her, to tell his secret. He felt guilty about that now, he supposed, owing to their forced civility.

Juliet had opted to stay with Anne and James for the summer, and so got the Hogwarts express back to London with Severus, who was going to his home in London. The man apparated before they were off the train, presumably not wanting to see any students, or old faces, but Juliet knew that James Roberts was waiting for her on the platform.