FOURTY ONE

"Can you believe it?" Ophelia grinned. "End of a year, end of OWLs."

"I know," Juliet said, smiling at her friend as they sat at the mostly empty table for an early breakfast.

"I wonder who won the house cup..."

"We won the last match, it's got to be us!"

Ophelia laughed and Juliet watched as more people started to filter into the hall. Lucius, Barty and Evan were smirking at the end of their table, muttering to each other and glancing over at the Gryffindors. People seemed miserable, deflated almost. The witch thought that it was probably because no one ever really wanted to leave Hogwarts. She certainly didn't, but was managing to push any thoughts of being home completely out of her head, at least until she got there.

"Morning Damien," she called to the young boy who passed where she and Ophelia sat. He glanced at her with puffy eyes but said nothing.

"What's his problem?" Ophelia asked.

"Merlin knows. Children."

"Quite," she laughed, sliding down the bench to allow Arabella to sit down. Juliet glanced to where Persephone sat with Caius and Narcissa, she doubted that they would ever be friends again.

"Morning Bella, aren't you glad we've finished."

"Yes..."

"I can't wait to hear who's won the house cup too..." Juliet trailed off as she watched Arabella's face fall at her words. "What is it?"

"Oh, Juliet..."

"What?"

"Don't be a bitch, Bella," Ophelia snapped. "What is it?"

"Look," the dark haired witch said quietly, handing the daily prophet over to Juliet.

"Jules- no," Regulus said, sitting down beside her and taking the paper from her hands.

"She has a right to know, Regulus," Arabella said sadly, gently taking it out of the boy's hands and giving it back to Juliet.

Brian and Susanna Jones were murdered last night in their muggle home in London, this comes only weeks after Mrs Jones' sister and her husband were murdered. Nathaniel Romilly is the prime and only suspect in this case, and he has been arrested and taken in for questioning due to him having no alibi. They leave behind Hogwarts fifth year student Colin Jones...

Remus watched the girl read the paper with his head in his hands. Colin had been getting ready for bed when Professor Mcgonagall had taken him, he hadn't been back since, according to the boys in his dorm. Lily had been crying all morning, crying for Colin, out of fear for her own life, for her parents.

"We'll fight," James had said, nodding at his friends.

"Of course," Remus replied.

"We should leave school early," Sirius piped up. "The order needs us now."

"School will make us better equipped for fighting," Lily had reminded him gently. "But we will, we'll fight."

James had put an arm around the girl and nodded, "we'll die if we have to. I can't stay out of this."

"Me either," Marlene had piped up from across the room. 

"We all will," Remus nodded. "We have each other."

"Right," Sirius said.

Lily too watched Juliet read the paper from across the hall, feeling utterly sorry for her and wishing that she could rush to her side and comfort her. She noticed Marlene mouth to Arabella, asking if she was okay, the Slytherin witch smiled and nodded back sadly. Juliet got up and left the hall, Regulus close behind her.