SEVENTY FIVE

"Merlin, who's died?" Arabella joked as she, Juliet, and Remus entered a silent house. James sat beside Sirius, who had his head on the table, with a comforting hand on his shoulder. Lily had her head resting on her knuckle, fighting tears as she watched one of her best friends silently sob.

"What's happened?" Remus asked quickly, sensing something was off.

Sirius Black raised his head and Juliet was taken aback by the sight of him. Eyes puffy, face red and tear stained. Something clicked in her as the man met her eyes, he held the contact for a few seconds too long.

"No," was all she said.

"Jules?" Remus asked, looking at her, confused.

"Regulus?" She asked quietly.

Sirius nodded, and stood up, pulling the witch into a hug as she sobbed into his chest.

"No," Remus said, freezing before glancing at the witch beside him, and putting an arm around Arabella, who had also begun to sniff.

Sirius had his hand on the back of Juliet Romilly's head, holding her into him as she shook. Over the top of her head he met Arabella's eye, and tried to smile.

"How?" Juliet asked, removing herself from Sirius.

"Sacrificed himself," James spoke.

"What?"

"Dunno the details," Sirius muttered. "But he went against You Know Who."

"No," Juliet said, shaking her head and covering her mouth. "But he- I begged him." She began to sob harder, letting Lily lead her to a seat at their table and not noticing Arabella wrap her arms around her. "The prick," she said between tears. "I fucking begged him. I tried so hard- Why didn't he let me help?"

"I know," Sirius nodded from opposite her. "I know. I tried to make him leave. I really tried."

"We didn't try hard enough," Juliet said. "I let him down."

"No," Remus said from beside her, taking one of her limp hands in his. "You didn't. He'd killed someone. This is a recent change. And his life doesn't have the same... prospects..."

"He died a hero," Lily whispered across the table.

"No one will ever know it," Sirius said sadly.

"But we do, mate. And you pair," he said, gesturing at Sirius and Juliet, "you pair were the only people he cared about."

Juliet sat on the edge of the bed James and Lily had given her with tears streaming down her face. Regulus was gone. Her Regulus. She would never see him again. Never. Her hands shook as she opened the envelope.

Dear Jules,

The last few years of my life have been tumultuous. Sirius leaving home was a dagger through the heart, and you repaired the wound. You've been a constant for me, Jules. A constant woman to pine over, a constant person to protect. A constant light in my dark, dark world. I've treated you poorly, at times, I know. Allowed fear to make me prioritise other things. I've finally done the right thing, now, and believe me when I say I'm happy. It was never going to be you and me, and I'd go to Azkaban if I survived this war. I've helped, at least. Ever since I took Andrew Jones' life I've dreamt of nothing but since. I robbed him of everything, I robbed him of meeting you, and that is the most selfish act I have ever committed. 

I'm so proud of you, Juliet, you've grown so much. And I am so happy that you have Sirius and Arabella too. I'll always be watching over you.

I love you, Juliet. Always have, and always always will. I know you're going to be so happy after this war.