SIXTY

Remus and Sirius kept their promise of not speaking to Juliet on return to Hogwarts, in fact, it was as if no friendship had ever existed between the three to any outsider. Inside, though, they looked out for each other. In the October Gryffindor/ Slytherin match, Sirius had stopped a bludger going Juliet's way, had even congratulated her on the win and invited her to a New Years Eve party.

In potions, Slughorn had of course paired Remus and Juliet a few times but the pair stayed civil. On one Thursday afternoon potions lesson Remus slid a piece of parchment over to the witch.

Skip Saturday Hogsmeade- library.

After pleading with Arabella and Persephone to go without her, Juliet headed to the library to meet with Remus Lupin, who had hassled her three separate times about meeting him.

"Juliet," he smiled, looking awkward as the witch approached. 

"Alright, Lupin?" She asked, briefly debating whether to hug him, but thankfully being saved by Colin appearing from behind a bookshelf.

"Romilly," he nodded. "Or should I say cousin?"

Juliet snorted, "Hi Colin, good summer?"

"As decent as it can be living with a muggle after both of my parents were killed by yours."

"Jones," Remus said, rolling his eyes.

Colin held his hands up, "I'm joking," he laughed. "Merlin, relax, Lupin." He looked to Juliet, "got him trained, haven't you?"

"Dickhead," Remus muttered under his breath, looking down at his parchment and inwardly smiling when Juliet laughed and put a hand on his shoulder. 

"So, why have I been summoned here?" The witch asked.

"He wants to meet you, Andrew does."

"When?"

"Next week, Christmas."

Juliet shook her head, "I can't."

"Why?"

"I'm-er- needed. Back home."

"You're staying with your dad- I mean with Romilly?"

"Er- no. With Regulus."

Remus rolled his eyes again and muttered something under his breath. Colin smirked and looked back to the witch.

"Cute. Why are you still going back there?"

"She doesn't really have much choice, does she Jones?"

The witch laughed again and nudged him with her knee under the table.

"Pretences are needed for as long as they can be kept up, Colin."

"Fine," he shrugged. "But, so you know, he's ready to meet you, when you are."

"I'll- we'll sort something soon, won't we?" She said, nudging the wizard beside her again.

"Yeah, I'll think of something," Remus said, looking up.

"Like a dog on a lead," Colin said, shaking his head. "Well, have a good Christmas both. Lupin, I'll see you on New Years at Potter's. Will you be in attendance, Romilly?"

"Perhaps," she smiled. "Sirius did say I could come."

"You can," Remus blinked. "I didn't know if you'd want to..."

"Well, Arabella is going, I hear." Colin replied.

"Merlin, I didn't know you had all the gossip on us Slytherin girls, Colin."

"Not my fault McKinnon runs her mouth."

"Ah- Arabella really can't turn down a sh-"

"Don't be crass, Romilly," Colin winked. "See you in the New Year. Or before. Bye."

Regulus marched into the library scanning the room for Juliet, his face falling when he saw her beside Remus Lupin.

"Jules, come with me," he said, ignoring the wizard beside his fiancee. 

"Okay," she replied. "Where?"

"We're leaving today," he leant towards her, "Lucius needs to see you apparently."

"The Hogwarts express doesn't leave for a few more days," Remus said bluntly.

"Thanks Lupin, I had no idea," he snapped. "Jules, now. The elves packed your bags."

"Okay, coming," she accepted his hand and turned to half smile at Remus who was already looking back down at his book. "Merry Christmas," she said quietly, being met with silence.

"My parents say," Regulus started, once they were back in 12 Grimmauld, "they say they withdraw our marriage approval until you have completed your task."

"What? The only reason the Dark Lord didn't murder me on the spot is because I'm engaged to you!"

"And because he believed you can prove yourself, Jules..."

"And I will-"

"Then hurry up with it."

Juliet sighed, peering around the door to Regulus' room before closing it and casting a silencing charm.

"Regulus, you know I'm not murdering anyone, how long can we keep this up-"

"As long as we need to," he hissed, pulling her towards him. "You need to pretend to have a plan in the works, or you really are dead.It's all well and good smiling at Lucius and having lunch with Narcissa. People need to see proof that you're with us."

"I thought I have until the summer I graduate."

"You do, I think. I don't know. There was word of it being next summer. And it's already Christmas."

"Time flies when you're having fun," she grumbled, remembering the phrase from something she and Remus had seen on the muggle box.

"What? Nevermind. Lucius also wanted to pass on the message that you have to hurry up."

Juliet threw her hands up, "well, I don't know what to tell you, Regulus. I'm not doing that, there's no need for pretences here. I'm obviously not going to murder my father, or Colin, or his cousin. You know that."

"We won't marry, and you'll die," he said flatly, still gripping her arm.

"I'll die anyway, Reg. We all will."

"Just fucking do it, Juliet," he said, an edge of pleading to his voice. "Kill them."

"Regulus-"

"Jules, I can keep us safe. We can be safe, and after this war, we can be happy. All you have to do-"

"Regulus, stop asking me to do what you know I won't. You're being utterly selfish."

"As are you! This is your way out. Do this one thing, one task and nothing more will be expected of you. You'll marry me and I'll look after you. It's right, Juliet. You know it is."

The witch smiled sadly and took one of Regulus' hands in her own, "I'd rather die than fulfil the task, Reg."

"Don't say that," he muttered. "If you di- If you- everything would be gone. Nothing would be left for me. You won't die. I won't let you."

"It seems I don't have a choice, Reg."

"You can avoid the Dark Lord for now, I suppose. He's here, just after boxing day. Can you go to Godric's Hollow again?"

Juliet laughed as she recalled Sirius' party invitation.

"Yes, Arabella is already going, there's a big party."

"Where?"

"Oh- er - a Ravenclaw that lives there..."

"You're full of shit, Romilly," Regulus smiled, pulling the witch into a light hug and kissing the top of her head. "Write them, tell them you'll be there."