NINETY NINE

September, '92

Juliet was glad to leave Anne and James' flat by the end of summer, she had balanced her time between the burrow, and wandering muggle London with Anne while James was on auror duty. Nymphadora Tonks had come round a few times and eaten dinner with the three friends. After Molly's however, Anne had once again not heard from Remus, and whenever she went back up north, once accompanied by Juliet, they found that he was once again hiding where he lived with the fidelius charm. The friends discussed it on their way to King's Cross, with James being highly sceptical that he could even perform it.

"I mean, the fidelius, it's extremely complicated magic," he said in a hushed voice, leaning over the two women as they stood on the tube.

"He can do it," Juliet sighed. "Just because you can't-"

The man rolled his eyes and Anne stifled a laugh.

"He's been hiding where he's living for ages," the muggle woman said sadly. "I don't understand why."

"And I don't understand why you still bother," James huffed.

"He's my friend," Anne said sharply. "And he's clearly struggling."

Juliet sighed, "I'll speak to Dumbledore, maybe he'll help." Since seeing Remus again, she had finally revealed to Anne that she worked at their old school, admitting why she was so scared for people to find out. She supposed that Anne did not truly understand her past, and hoped that she never would, so it was okay for her to know.

"Spose he was one of the golden boys, wasn't he?" James scoffed.

"The golden boys?" Anne asked.

Juliet rolled her eyes, "Lupin was, admittedly, awfully annoying in school. Him and his friends, everyone adored them. Called themselves the marauders."

Anne giggled at that and asked, "Dumbledore was the headmaster?"

James grinned at his girlfriend and nodded, "yeah, he helped you, Juliet, so I'm sure he'd be keen to help Remus."

Juliet nodded and linked Anne's arm as they stepped off the train, pausing to draw her into a tight hug as she prepared to change platforms and go to her muggle job.

"When will we next see you?"

"Christmas," Juliet replied, smiling as Anne kissed her on the cheek. "A while, I know."

"Will you owl me if Dumbledore says anything about Remus?"

Juliet laughed and pulled the woman into another hug, nodding and giving James a quick hug before leaving the couple to get on another train. The witch smiled to herself, pulling her huge trunk behind her and holding the cage with Regulus the cat in under her arm, Anne had become a refreshing presence in her life, her first female friendship since the deaths of Marlene and Arabella. Her old friends were something that she would force to the back of her mind, trying desperately to not reminisce on them. But Anne had reminded her of them in some ways, and suddenly thinking about them wasn't so scary anymore.

Juliet met a smirking Severus Snape at the door to the castle, he looked amused at something, which for him, was an incredibly rare expression for the man. The witch raised an eyebrow with him and fell into step as they headed towards the hall.

"Just wait," he began slowly, "until you meet the dimwit that Albus has hired to teach the Dark Arts."

"Severus, you are endlessly jealous, and will continue to be." Juliet said, rolling her eyes, unsurprised that for yet another year, Snape hated the dark arts professor.

He wasn't even bothered by the dig and suppressed a smile as a flamboyant man with a blonde quiff approached the pair. Juliet raised an eyebrow, recognising him.