THIRTY

Severus Snape sat pondering in the Slytherin common room an hour before the moon was due to rise. 

He had suspected Remus Lupin for months, but had never managed to follow him on a full moon night. Since Sirius Black had mentioned the whomping willow, he had not been able to get it out of his head. If it wasn't the key to Remus Lupin's secret, it was surely something. Severus didn't think that Sirius Black was stupid enough to reveal something like that. 

Certainly, he thought he was stupid, but surely not to that extent?

He had every intention on going, and wondered if he ought to ask anyone to accompany him. The other boys would think he was wasting his time on a pointless Gryffindoor, which, in a way, he was. They wouldn't care whether or not Remus Lupin was a werewolf, Severus did though. It was something to hold over them. Over the marauders. Something to tell Lily, perhaps then she wouldn't be so interested in being their friend. In being Potter's friend.

He could ask Juliet Romilly to go with him, he had told her his suspicions. Yes, she had shut him down and said that he was ridiculous, but it would be nice to prove her wrong. To have a one up against a Romilly. If he discovered this, he'd certainly gain respect. Was going alone safe, though? Perhaps he should ask Juliet, he hadn't seen her.

"Black," he barked. "You seen Romilly?"

Regulus gave him an odd look, "no... she's patrolling, I think."

"Oh," Snape said flatly. He would have to go alone. Could he ask Regulus? Was there enough time to explain himself? The moon was almost risen. He'd have to go alone.

"Hey, Juliet," Lily said to the Slytherin witch cheerily as they met outside of the great hall at dusk.

"Alright, Evans?"

"Cold, isn't it?" Lily remarked.

"Sure... full moon," Juliet said, nodding up at the empty sky.

"Yes," Lily said, wondering how Remus was. "Caius was asking where you were in potions earlier."

"Oh, right. Well, he would."

"Why?"

Juliet grinned and paused before speaking, "he's the type of man who likes to control everyone. He severely overestimates his own importance."

"Only an Avery, right?" Lily asked with a smile.

Juliet laughed a little, "right. Who answered Caius?"

"Persephone said she didn't know, then Sirius said you were with Remus-"

"Lupin wasn't there?" 

"No-"

"Bloody hell, great."

"What?"

"Our potion is already taking fucking ages!"

"Oh, right."

"Where was he?"

"He's... ill..." Lily said.

Juliet glanced up at the moon, her mind skipping back to her conversation with Severus Snape.

"As always," the witch muttered.

"What?!"

"I'm not an idiot," was all that Juliet said. 

"Hah... So, who were you with?"

"Today?"

"Yes."

"Regulus."

"Oh," Lily grinned. "Date in lesson time?"