1-Invitation

Elira ran her fingertips over the leather-bound books in the musty palace library. She paused at a bright red book that she hadn't spotted before and tilted her head to one side. Pursing her lips, she reached over the book's top to slowly pull it out, only to be startled by a loud voice calling out to her.

"Your highness? YOUR HIGHNESS??" the male called out, his footsteps echoing as he walked closer towards Elira.

"Your highness," Alder, her courtier said as he bowed his head, "His majesty has requested your presence in his study-"

"Is it important?" she asked, dusting her hands, momentarily forgetting the red book, turning to face Alder,

"I should think so, ma'am"

Elira sighed as she nodded and walked ahead, her kitten heels clacking on the hardwood floor.

....

The heavy doors opened to reveal her father sitting at his desk, glasses on his nose as he pored over a folder in his hands. 

"Princess Elira, your majesty," Alder announced, before walking out, closing the doors behind him.

King Oran looked up from his papers and smiled, his golden-brown hair catching the early afternoon sunlight, casting a hazy glow over him,

"You summoned me?" Elira said as she walked closer to his desk

"I believe I did," He said as he stood up, drawing his daughter for a hug, placing a tender kiss on her forehead.

He gestured her to sit down as he put all his papers to one side before sitting down, Elira sitting shortly after

"What is it then?"

"Hmm? Oh right! Since you've come of age, 21 to be precise, I thought it'd be good to send you on a diplomatic visit!"King Oran said as he started to go through his unkempt piles of papers

Elira chuckled as she helped him sift through the sets, finding a lilac envelope addressed to the king, a golden Magnolia seal on the front.

"That's the one! Now, what country is tha-"

"Korea." Elira said as her fingers slipped under the already removed gold seal, "Why are our envelopes burgundy, lilac is so much more gentle and delicate..." 

"You know very well why," Oran said as he leaned back into his chair

Elira sighed as she opened the letter,

"It's an invitation, to their 50th Amity gala. I cannot go this year and so can't your sister, since she has duties here as heir to the throne. So its only fitting you go as you are-"

"Dispensable?"

"-ready. I was gonna say ready. I thought you'd be excited." He said with a frown

"I am excited. But going as your replacement, or Kiana's is not something I particularly enjoy-"

"Oh, they aren't calling either of us. They asked for an ambassador of state, and I see no one more fitting for that role, other than you."

"Oh-" Elira said, taken aback by the unexpected turn of events, excitement slowly bubbling up her chest, "I get to go as an ambassador of state? A proper role?"

"It's high time you take on some duties other than sister to the heir apparent," Oran said with a chuckle as he saw the gears turn in Elira's head, "Looking forward to it now?"

Elira nodded with a grin before stopping and asking the crucial question, "So when do I leave?"

....