8- Headstart

Elira walked up to the practice room, stopping before the door and placing her ear on it.

She smiled as she slid the heavy door open, the dark hall stretching out before her, the cool dawn air circulating cooling the place.
She stepped into the room, walking towards one of the shelves with the swords.

Elira picked a sword, unsheathing it in one clean swoosh.
She heard footsteps and chatter behind her, which ceased the moment they saw who had opened the door.

She turned around to find the tall muscular man from the day before yesterday, walking to the front of the crowd

"Your highness?" He hesitated

"Oh, I thought I might practice for a while, maybe even duel, if that's not a problem, Mr..."

"Namjoon. Lieutenant General Kim Namjoon, your highness," he said with a short salute

"May I, Lieutenant General?"

"I- um... I see no harm in it, your highness," he answered, bowing

"Good. Thank you," Elira nodded before turning back to the wall.

The other soldiers murmured as they walked in, picking out their weapons of choice while Elira browsed through the shelves, occasionally stopping to test out a sword that caught her eye.

Namjoon watched her from the other corner of the hall, not missing out on her thoughtful face.

Something happened last night. Something pretty big.

She finally picked a sword, tying it around her waist before walking to one of the dummies, the soldiers parting as she stalked her way.

Yoongi walked into the practice room, all activity stopping, everyone bowing, except Elira, who turned around and smiled at him.

"Good morning!", she grinned, causing Namjoon to raise an eyebrow

"I see you got yourself a headstart," Yoongi smirked as he unsheathed his sword

"You should be glad I wore myself out a bit," Elira said with a slight upturn of her nose, a smile curving her lips

"Shall we then?" Yoongi gestured to the pedestal again.

....

They sparred all afternoon, laughing and yelling at each other, their playful banter making everyone chuckle around them.

"I thought you were unbeatable-" Yoongi said mid jab

"And I thought you were, I don't know, better~"

"Oh, I see you wanna go there now~"

"I'm just stating facts, Yoongiii~"

Yoongi chuckled as he sidestepped one of her slices.

....

Namjoon handed both of them towels and cold bottles of water as they sat on the floor together, leaning on opposite columns facing the courtyard.

"Let me know if you need anything," he said with a bow before walking away to monitor his soldiers.

Yoongi gulped down the water as Elira wiped her face and arms.

"That was one heck of a workout," Yoongi chuckled as Elira nodded, preoccupied sipping from the water bottle, looking into the courtyard.

Yoongi did not miss her thoughtfulness, looking at her, wondering, before turning to face the courtyard too.