43- Plot

"Yoongi!" Elira called out, shuddering when a chilly gust of wind blew past her, prompting her to pull the cardigan she had on closer to her. She took quick steps till she caught up with him, wrapping an arm around his waist, stopping him.
"What's wrong?" she asked quietly as Yoongi looked up at the cloudy grey sky.

Getting no reply, she pulled him closer, him instinctively wrapping an arm around her too as they stood in the garden, the rose bushes showing their new buds, a few days shy of blooming.

"I don't want this..." Yoongi's whispered, taking a deep breath before at Elira with a look that shattered her, "I don't want this, I don't want to be king I- i- don't want to be him-"

"I- I'm sorry Yoongi but, I thought-"

"I cannot do this, Elira. I've seen what the crown does to people. I've seen it, I've felt it, I've lived it and I don't-"

"Yoongi... It's us, it's me. We'll figure it out. This isn't going how we thought it would... It was supposed to be two second born royals whose decisions weren't gonna matter much, but here we are, and we love each other and this is how it's going to go, whether we like it or not hmm?"

Yoongi looked at her with tired eyes, "You know how we used to be grateful the responsibility was never going to fall on us and yet, here we are... I cannot become my father..."

"Hey... Hey hey hey..." Elira said softly, cupping Yoongi's face like he was made of porcelain, rubbing a thumb over the apple of his cheek, "It won't be the same... You won't be him. You're not him... And you have me and don't worry, I'll manage most of this anyway, you can just help me like always, you'll just be closer... We'll make sure history doesn't repeat itself, hmm?"

Yoongi gently tucked a strand of hair behind Elira's ear as he looked at her, searching, "You think we can do this?"

"What? Running a kingdom? Oh for the two of us, it's going to be a piece of cake!" Elira grinned, a shiver crawling up her spine prompting Yoongi to wrap both his arms around her.

"What about General Darian-"

"He'll come around. He's a nice man, just a little protective of me and the country... I guess he too feels a little bit responsible for what happened... He just doesn't want it to happen again either..."

Yoongi nodded, pecking her forehead before turning back to the sky, "Well if this is what it takes to keep you safe..."

Elira sighed in contentment as she burrowed herself closer into his form, standing together quietly for a few beats.
"Shall we head back inside?" Yoongi asked, looking down at Elira who had glued herself at Yoongi's side, both her arms wrapped around him. She looked at him and smiled, giving him a small nod as they waddled back to the room.
.....

"Your majesty, do you remember any important event that took place while you were in Korea? Something that might be of significance to this entire investigation?"

Elira sat for a while, looking at the wood as she tapped her fingers on the surface. Yoongi's eyes went wide

"Elira... Hyung..."

"Oh! Right. Prince Yong Saeng had invited me to an intimate dinner as a princess and had asked my hand in marriage."

General Darian and Alder's eyes went wide
"Have you told this to the Queen Narina, ma'am?" Alder inquired

"No. The matter was resolved immediately. And Queen Aera apologised and told me to think nothing of it as well, so I didn't think it was relevant."

Silence descended on the table as the four of them thought about the implications of this.

"Could you tell us what was the exact day?"

"Oh, I couldn't possibly pinpoint it. But it was before the Amity gala as well. I remember absolutely dreading that dance with him because of this."

"Do you think this was the King's doing, your highness?" Darian asked Yoongi

"It could be. It could be something that he told hyung to do. The tricky thing about King Ye Jun is that he doesn't command. At least not all the time. He'll drop hints on what he would like something to go about, and anyone who's willing to read those hints and want to please him will do so. Yong saeng is constantly seeking approval, what with being next in line, and all..."

"You did say your position in the Royal duties was elevated, after your recent extension of the diplomatic visit, yes?"

"Uh... Yes, one could say that about the new roles I've started to play-"

"Have you been elevated over Prince Yong Saeng?"

Yoongi furrowed his eyebrows as he considered what had transpired these last couple of weeks, realisation dawning on his face, making him go pale

"What? What is it?" Elira asked as she watched unspoken words be exchanged between Yoongi and the General

"As I feared." The general stated bluntly as Yoongi threw his head back and rubbed his face

"Will the two of you elaborate?" Alder said as he raised his eyebrows

"Prince Yoongi's heightened status after he is known to be in a favourable position here in Avar, followed by an increase in duties, things his brother would have to handle in other circumstances means that," General Darian licked his lips, "He's now, possibly, the next in line to the throne..."

Yoongi whispered a stream of curses as he rubbed his forehead and looked at General Darian, "It's speculative at best, isn't it? I mean, I don't think Hyung is gonna give it up so easily, after living his entire life preparing for this,"

"If your father orders him to do it, does he have a choice?" Elira asked softly

"What is he waiting for then? Why hasn't he already declared you as the new heir, if this is what he's going for?" Alder said, refilling the now empty cups with fresh tea from the kettle

"He needs to be sure. He always needs to be sure..." Yoongi said as he bounced his knee, "going by his behaviour, he's been banking on Avar falling, or in the end, assimilating to Korea... That would explain the assassination," he looked at General Darian, "the proposal," he paused at Elira, "And now, the upgrade in status for me."

"Do you think, the assassination attempt on her majesty, was your King's doing?" Darian asked carefully

"I- I cannot be sure but I cannot put it past him either... When it comes to the kingdom, King Ye Jun has no boundaries or morals"

Everyone focused on their drinks as they thought about the new developments.

"So... King Ye Jun wants-" Elira voiced out, looking between Yoongi and General Darian

"He just doesn't want Avar to exist. Something greater than his own country? Oh no, he can't have that... It's either a ruined nation or a part of Korea," General Darian said exasperatedly, "he set the wheels in motion for both and currently he's winning..."

"Give him what he wants..." Alder said, prompting everyone to stare at him, "at least, make him think he's winning,"

"Go on..." Elira nodded

"Do it. Give him what he wants. Fake the marriage. Make Yoongi king."

.

.

.

.

.

.

A/N:

heh-

King Yoongi is coming y'all

King YOONGI

*passes out*