42- Stakes

Yoongi sleepily propped himself on his elbows, blinking as he looked around the room, trying to get a grip on his surroundings when he spotted Elira sitting outside on the patio, reading a book.
He picked up his phone and glanced at the clock

1:00pm

Yoongi got up with a sigh opened the French doors and walked up to the seated figure. He leaned down and pecked her lips before he settled down on the chair to her left.

"When do you have to go back?" Elira asked as she put down her book

"Ideally tonight..."

Elira inhaled sharply, looking at the garden for the briefest of seconds before turning back to face him, "Wanna elope?"

Yoongi felt his cheeks redden, "Wha- what I mean- I- we could-" he stuttered out, Elira holding back a smile.

"I wish we could," Elira said as she leaned back into her chair, looking up at the clear sky, "I wish we had met under different circumstances. I wish we could just up and leave without having to worry about consequences,"

Yoongi reached for her hand, intertwining their fingers, "Instead of wishing for what could've been, we should look at what we can do, here and now hmm?" he said quietly, his finger rubbing on the ring gracing her pinkie.

Elira looked at their hands longingly, her gaze shifting up to his face, "The moment those rings jump one finger, it's going to complicate everything by a thousand. Especially since we now know-"

"You know?"

Elira nodded, "The king's personal infirmary cams. Nobody took notice before, but Dr Kim, personally fetched the IV bag and whatnot along with a nurse. There are multiple occasions he could've injected something into the bag-"
Yoongi squeezed her hand as she continued, "but that's all we have. The postmortem report was prepared by him, The lab results could've been intercepted cause they didn't mention traces of anything or it could be a drug that cannot be traced, we cannot dig up their bodies to check again cause, according to tradition it's ash I-" Elira breathed deep, pausing for a few beats, "it's the perfect plan. There's not one loophole. I cannot interrogate your physician without adding tension to international relations and I'm in a precarious position with my cabinet as is," Elira dropped her head in her hands, Yoongi rubbing her back comfortingly

"I- I don't even know if I should be telling you all this. I...I know you haven't done anything but at this point..." she whispered and Yoongi chuckled,

"I understand love, your concerns are valid and I appreciate your honesty, just... let me know how I can help. I- my father doesn't mean anything to me. I am not my father's son..." he looked down at his feet, steeling himself before looking up, "But I think I know him. And with King Ye Jun, if he's scheming and plotting, the only way to catch him is to be at least ten steps ahead of him, so... Do you wanna make a plan of our own?"

Elira looked at him, and looking at his encouraging smile, she felt hope the hope sputter back to life in her heart.

"You think- you think we can do this?"

"Oh, what's a mere King against a certified genius queen and a piano extraordinaire prince?"

....

Steam wafted out of the cups of tea and coffee that were arranged on the circular table in Eira's sitting room. Darian sat in front of Elira, Alder standing off to her left with the both of them staring warily at Yoongi who sat on Elira's right.

Elira reached over the table and held Yoongi's hands, the older men visibly stiffening at that.

"I have decided to trust Prince Yoongi and the both of you will do the same. He will be helping us from the Korean front, trying to gather everything we need to build a solid case against king Ye Jun,"