2.31

Maeri panted as her boots heavily clicked on the ground in sync with Chenle's

The adrenaline has them hot on their heels that they didn't even care if the weather was cold and their foggy breaths became one with the air.

Palms still pressed against each other and fingers clutched on each others hands.

"Fuck, Zhong. This was a bad idea." she hissed, running alongside the elder as he let them be chased by local amateur gangsters.

Maeri panted while the wind continuously slapped her face harshly, brushing past her skin and her tied up hair.

"I always pissed them off." Chenle smugly stated, still running hand in hand with the girl beside her.

Calves burning, thighs and muscles pulsing and feet swelling in their shoes.

Maeri continued to love the thrill of it all.

She was so immersed in enjoying that exact moment, she forgot all the heartbreak and the pain she's been keeping to her self all these years.

She wished for this moment to last longer and for it to never end.

She loved this friendship.

But at that exact moment, her fears and her overthinking got the best of her again.

She suddenly slowed down and came to a stop, panting heavily and she let Chenle's hand go causing said male to stop as well, jogging his way back towards her. "Hey, you okay?" he asks genuinely, looking worried as he saw Maeri crouched on her feet.

She looked up at him from beneath her lashes and all she could do was frown.

Realizing that looking at Chenle made her think that she can have a friendship that she wants but can't have.

It was hurting her all over again.

All the memories flashing at that moment, making her sick to her stomach that she wanted to leave at that moment.

But not when she and Chenle were being chased by amateur gangsters in the streets after midnight.

"Yeah, I need a breather." she panted, fanning herself despite the cold winter surrounding them.

"Come on, so they don't catch us." Chenle was quick to pull her by the wrist and drag her somewhere hidden in which she let her self get dragged by the male.

Maeri continued to breathe in and out, catching her breath while her back was pressed against a thick brick wall with only the moonlight to be their source of vision.

"You know Renjun and Taeyong hyung is gonna have you doomed when you get back." she said in between her breathing, looking up at the latter who stood a fair distance across her.

"What happened to you?" Chenle asked, crossing his arms over his chest and examining her features.

From the looks of it, he noticed how her skin was hugging her cheekbones more in which she obviously lost weight and her eyes never gave off that same cold intimidating expression anymore.