2.33

Chenle took slow steps towards the wide garden at the front of the headquarters

Spotting a standing Maeri in the middle of the field of dried flowers and grass covered in snow.

He stood beside the girl, who was hugging herself to emit warmth from the cold.

Breaths fogged up in the air as they exhaled, noses red and lips pale.

Chenle didn't dare say a word, just standing with the girl in the cold while they looked at the snow covered field of dry and dead plants.

"You know it was a bad idea bringing me here." Maeri exhaled loudly, her puffy eyes roaming in the distance.

"Did you guys talk?" he asked, feeling his heart tighten for a moment when those words left his lips but just for the sake of changing the topic.

"Chenle, we had nothing to talk about." she finally turned to look up at him and Chenle swore he saw how hurt her expression was from the corner of his eye and it sent a pang in his heart once again.

Facing the girl, he kept his face stoic even though his heart was hurting at that exact moment. "So you're just gonna leave yourselves broken and misunderstood-" he was cut off.

Maeri scoffed. "Why do you care so much Chenle?" her eyes roamed his face as if some answer was written there but to no avail, even his eyes were void of anything.

"Because you guys are my friends."

'Because it hurts me to see you hurt.'

She let out an airy laugh while her breath continued to fog up in the air. "You see, Chenle. This is the reason why I never wanted to be a part of this group in any way possible." pointing to herself, she jabs her finger on her chest a little harshly. "Either you will be used against me or I will be used against you." she jabs her fingers on to his shoulder.

"Maeri I-"

"Take me back to Chan's house. And when you do, you will mostly not come back tomorrow or the following days you understand?" she sternly commanded although her voice slightly quivered.

The tears obviously pricking at the corners of her eyes but she doesn't let them fall, instead she blinks them away and turns her back.

"I just wanted to help you two get your shit together, what's so wrong with being a good friend almost your whole life?" he grumbled, hurt laced in his tone as he stopped the girl in her tracks.

Although, Chenle knows that any of those words were his intentions.

Maeri turned around and smiled bitterly. "You see Chenle? This is the problem with us. We used to be friends, we just can't pick up where we left off like nothing happened between our families."

"It's because you chose to walk in their path, Maeri. What part can't you understand that we can choose whatever we want." he took a step forward towards the girl.