Chapter XI

It had to be Captain Beifong. At least her father kept his word, Beifong wasn't exactly rude; she was just too serious. Not that the young woman minded . As the pair walked through the streets, Jinora couldn't help but glance over Lin's humourless face. The older woman kept her hands clasped behind her back and her eyes forward, she clearly didn't want to be assigned this job but she couldn't just refuse an order from the Colonel.
"I know you're staring." She said, scaring Jinora half to death with her sudden words.

"Sorry." Jinora stuttered out and looked forward as they were nearing the end of the town.
"I also apologise further."

"What for?" Lin replied, her tone of voice was harsher than she intended it to be.

"I know you didn't want to escort me out of town." Jinora explained.
"With everything going on, I'm sure you're really busy."

Lin's lips twitched into a small smile as she looked at the girl to her side.
"Don't worry about it . This is probably the longest break I've had anyway." She said.
"Besides, I feel honoured. It shows the amount of trust Colonel Tenzin has for me."

"Is my father all high and mighty at the Sato Manor?" Jinora asked, slightly pleased when she saw Lin's smile widen at her comment .

"Well, yes. He has to be." Lin chuckled.
"But let's keep this between you and me , kid. Your father cannot handle the rookies to save his life."

Jinora shook her head and laughed. Tenzin was never good with younger people.
"That definately sounds like him."

"He normally leaves that to my sister." Lin's smile faltered as she mentioned Suyin.

The younger girl raised an eyebrow.
"I didn't realise you had a sister."

"Many people don't and I'm thankful for that." The Captain said, her arms were at her side now.

"Why?" Jinora replied. She was generally intrigued.

"Suyin and I don't get along like you and your siblings probably do ." Lin sighed, remembering what happened the other day in the barracks.
"It can be humilating when we bicker considering we are old adults now."

"Siblings fight no matter their age. Ikki can get on my last nerves sometimes." Jinora explained.
"Also my Uncle Bumi can pull at my father's strings when he visits."

Lin sighed again, she couldn't believe she was going to ask a child for advise.
"So what do you suggest I do?"

Jinora thought back to when her and Ikki fought, they were always broken up by Pema or sometimes it was Meelo. But after their little quarrels, they always apologise to eachother after.
"Talk it out with her."
Captain Beifong clenched her jaw. She never really had a serious talk with her sister, it would always end up with them both arguing. Suyin didn't necessarily help since she always turned up to work late and Lin obviously always had to comment on that. Maybe Jinora had a point. Lin parted her lips to thank the girl but Jinora seemed lost in thought, her gaze fixed on the lake that was some distance away from their position.
"She didn't even seem like an assassin."

Lin knew who she was on about and a frown appeared on her face.
"That's what they want you to think."

Jinora moved her head away from the lake so she could see where she was walking.
"She was nice to me in fact. She seemed like a lovely lady." She explained, remembering how Korra had conversed with her that day by the lake.
"It seems bizarre that a woman like that is known to be a heartless killer." Lin stayed quiet through all this, letting the child ramble out her thoughts and problems.
"Have you killed anyone Captain?"

Lin's breath hitched as the sudden question.
"No." She answered. They walked in silence after that .

<->