Chapter XXXV

He dug his hand into his pocket again, relief washing over him as he felt that the coins were still in there. That was the second time he checked his pockets as he walked through the market, he never knew when a person would come out of no where pickpocket him. Well that's the whole point really, he wouldn't know.

The whole reason he came to this market was because of Kuvira. She insisted that she was going to be alright if he kept her wound clean but he wanted to do a little more to help. He hoped that someone would have a sort of serum to help with the healing. The man smiled as he found the place he was looking for. A small store snuggled inbetween two larger buildings. Two large windows displayed endless rows of bottles and vases on each side of the door, a powerful aroma of flowery remedies filling his nose as he stepped closer. As he pushed open the door, small bells rung just above his head.

"Morning." A woman's voice greeted behind the counter. Kai smiled at the woman as he closed the door to the apothocary, shutting out the chatter from the market.
"How can I help you young man?"

She was an older woman, the grey hair made that clear. She had it tied up in a ponytail but left out a few strands to stream down her face at the front.
"I was wondering if you had anything to treat a burn?" Kai said as he leaned onto the counter.

"I don't have much to help with something like that."
The woman sighed as she strolled over to the shelves of bottles that were behind her.
"What type of burn are we talking about here?"

"I'm a blacksmith, hot metals aren't fun." He joked, earning a laugh from the older woman. He waited patiently as she lifted up numerous bottles and jars but none of them were what she was looking for.
"A friend of mine had burnt herself on a piece of metal I was working on."

"I see."
The woman turned back to face Kai with a frown.
"Bare with me for a moment, I'll have to check in the back room."

Kai nodded and watched as the shopkeeper opened the door to what he assumed was the 'back room'. Whilst he waited, he decided to have a look around. It was only a small shop, it would probably take him atleast 10 steps to walk from one side to the other; it was cozy. His green eyes studied each and every glass jar, trying his best to try and pronounce some of the names out in his head that were written on the labels. As he was doing so, a small person stood next to him. The small boy had a curious expression on his face as he crossed his arms with impatience.
"Can I help you?" The boy asked, tapping his foot against the ground.

"I was just waiting for the Lady to get me something." Kai replied, feeling oddly intimidated by this small boy.

"Meelo, stop bothering people." Another smaller person stood infront of Kai. It was a girl, she was slightly taller than 'Meelo'. There was something about these two that seemed familiar.
"Sorry Mister."

Kai chuckled as he walked back to the counter so he could wait patiently again. The two kids started to run around the place, almost knocking over a shelf or two whilst they were at it. Before Kai could tell them to be careful, the older woman came back empty handed.
"Meelo, Ikki! Behave yourselves." She commanded. The two children stopped what they were doing and slowly walked to the woman's side.

"Sorry Aunt Kya." They both said in unison as they exited to the back building.

Kya rolled her eyes as she faced Kai again.
"My brother's kids, I had the pleasantry of looking after them for the time being." She said.
"Anyway, I'm afraid that I dont have what you're looking for."
Kai's smile fell slightly, looks like Kuvira will take a lot longer to heal.
"But, I do know someone who might." Kya added, making Kai smile again.

"You do?"

"My mother, Katara, lives up north." Kya explained.
"I'm sure she could help you better. Just tell her Kya sent you and she should be willing to help."