Chapter XXIX

Opal cried as if her brain was being shredded from the inside and flowed out of her every pore. She grabbed onto a chair so that her violent shaking would not cause her to fall and from her eyes came a thicker flow of tears. The whole world had vanished for her, now there was only pain enough to break her, pain enough to change her beyond recognition. It turned into a blur, and so did all the sounds. The taste. The smell. Everything was just gone.

She had been waiting for what felt like hours, for the screams of horror. The screams of realisation that Hiroshi was dead. He was dead and wasn't coming back. She had led him to Kuvira. She had handed him to the assassins on a silver platter. Hiroshi Sato is dead because of her foolishness, her naivety. How could the Satos look at her the same? What would Asami think of her now? What would Bolin think? The poor girl clasped her hands to her face, sobbing uncontrollably into them. She had messed up so bad.

Her sobs came to a halt once she heard knocking on her bedroom door. The guards were here for her already, that means Kuvira already had Hiroshi. Mr Sato wasn't with them anymore. Opal choked back her sobs and took a look around her room one last time. She wouldn't be seeing these walls ever again. Only a cell that would probably be six feet by four, the walls a thick grey stone and her windows barred. Opal closed her eyes as the door creaked open, she breathed in a shakey breath and awaited for the moment where she would be restrained.
"Opal?"

Her eyes shot open as she turned to the man who was at her door.
"Mr Sato?" She whispered in disbelief. Yasuko stood behind him, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder. He was alive, unharmed. How was that possible?

Hiroshi let out a breath he didn't know he was holding and stepped into the room, his wife following.
"I need you to tell me everything that happened."

Opal was lost for words, she couldn't speak at all. Instead, she got to her feet and rushed over to the old man; wrapping him in a hug.
"I'm so sorry." She sniffled.
Hiroshi gave his wife a glance and gently tapped her back, hoping that would comfort her cries. It did to an extent, but not enough.
"Kuvira is apart of the Red Lotus. she threatened my families life." She admitted, clinging onto his jacket. She felt like if she let go, he would be gone forever.
"I was so scared."

"Opal." Yasuko said in a soft tone, stroking her back gently.
"It's alright. You're safe now. Kuvira can't get you here."

Opal pulled away from the man and attempted to wipe her tears away, but they instantly streamed back down her face. Yasuko furrowed her brows at the poor girl in front of her. Kuvira must of done something horrible to make her like this.
"Can you tell us everything that happened?" She asked, handing her a handkerchief that she always kept in the pocket of her trousers. Opal took the handkerchief gratefully and continued to dry away her tears. She nodded slowly and begun to tell them her tale.

<->

She passed the window so many times, her black boots making a gentle pitter patter on the stone feckled grey. Occasionally glancing at the open window; the wind gently brushing against her cheek everytime she passed it in her pacing. The breeze lightly whistling through the room, creating a peculiar sort of tune. The sky had fallen quite dark and the stars were nonexistent. Soft balls of cotton blanketed the sky, hiding the full moon behind them. She had never seen a night like this before. Waiting does this, she assumed. It gives her time to examine the ordinary and ask questions of things she simply takes for granted. Like Korra had once said to her. It's beautiful to love the ordinary. However, waiting had its cons. She had never been this worried before. Yes she may have been worried for her father, but this is different... somehow.

A gasp escaped from her lips as she heard a grunt from outside her window. She unfolded her arms and rushed over; poking her head out into the fresh air. Her green eyes gazed down and met with a pair of blue ones. Half of the climber's face was covered with cloth but she knew those eyes all to well.
"Korra?" She called. The climber's eyes squinted as she smiled from under her face covering. Asami dangled her arm out of the window, handing Korra her palm to take. The assasssin grabbed onto her hand and with a swift motion, Asami pulled her into her room with a struggle. Korra was heavier than she thought.