Chapter LI

The blood pounded in her ears and her heart thudded in her chest. Her hands shook and her feet tingled. Kuvira is here, right underneath their very feet. She had been here for days and they didn't even notice? Opal's vision disfigured like she was looking through a fish eye lens. The countless wishes and prayers couldn't keep that woman away, the assassin lived in her head, appeared like a stain every time she blinked. A Living memory that she couldn't seem to forget, pressing a blade against her skin.

She had to get away but she couldn't. It's like the assassin's shadow followed her like a ghost, she couldn't run from it. The cries were harder, her chest grew tighter. Breathing was difficult. Really difficult. As if an anvil had squished her lungs flat.
Asami gently tapped her shoulder.
"Opal?" She called but her friend was focused on the floor, wheezing as she struggled for air.

"Kuvira won't hurt you. She's locked up. She won't be able to get you I promise." Jinora explained, trying her very best to calm her down. Perhaps it wasn't a wise decision to tell this poor woman the news. They had managed to sit her down before she plummeted to the bedroom floor of her own. After Asami's chat with Hiroshi last night, Jinora was the first one to be told in the morning; they both brought it to Opal's attention together afterwards. And it wasn't going according to plan.

Kuvira was locked up. Chained by the wrists and surrounded by nothing but stone and metal bars. No one could escape that. But she couldn't believe it. An intimidating woman like Kuvira, one that had more skill and power than anyone she knew, chained up in a small cell. She couldn't picture it, not one bit.
"I need to see her." She said shakily.

"What?" Asami exclaimed. If this was the state her friend was in for just knowing about the assassin's whereabouts, what would she be like if she was actaully face to face with her?
"Are you sure?"

Opal inhaled sharply through her nose as her bottom lip quivered.
"If I see her in chains then maybe she won't haunt me anymore."

Asami gave a glance over to her friend with worry. Was this really a good decision? Opal did have a point, a real reason as to why she should face the assassin behind bars. She would finally face her fear, face the one that scarred her and end her nightamres once and for all.
"Okay, we'll go." She said.

"Isn't Suyin posted in there?" Jinora asked as she opened the door to Opal's bedroom.

Asami nodded.
"I think so yes."

"We are going into the basement, no matter what my mother says." Opal demanded, her hands were still shaking frantically.

"I can try and get her out of there for a few moments. Hopefully it will be enough time for you." Jinora explained.

"Thank you Jinora." Opal said, flashing her a weak smile as she pulled the girl into an embrace.

Jinora patted her back gently.
"You're safe Opal, you have my word." And with that, she made her way through the hallways of the manor on a mission to distract Sergeant Beifong.

<->

The Sergeant slumped into her chair and kicked up her feet onto the nearby table. Even in the early hours of the morning, the assassin's were at it again. It was some what amusing sometimes when they were like this, getting on eachother's nerves like children. Su adverted her eyes between each prisoner, dragging a cloth around the barrel of her gun in the process. The cloth had patches of charcoal black ridden all over it, Lord when was the last time she cleaned this?

"Alright, again." Kuvira huffed as she paced around in her cell.

Shady Shin groaned and smacked his forehead.
"This is so daft."