Chapter XIII

He unfolded the letter and started to read the words that were written in dark ink. He felt his hope slip away as his eyes read the letter from top to bottom. A sigh left his lips as he placed the letter onto the dining table.
"Has she requested to extend her stay again?" Pema asked, already knowing the answer from her husband's expression.

"Yes and now I'm getting worried. This is the second extension." Tenzin replied. It had been almost two weeks since Jinora had left home to her Grandmother's cottage and he was assuming the worst. Did the Red Lotus capture her? Maybe she should've ordered Captain Beifong to stay for a few days to make sure everything was okay.
"Maybe she's not well."

"She's just scared Tenzin." Pema said, planting a soft kiss against his cheek.

Tenzin smiled a little at the gesture.
"She's had a week out there with my mother."

Pema picked up the letter in her hands and read her daughters words.
"And she's requesting another more and that's okay." Her words calmed down Tenzin's worried mood. Maybe he was just overthinking.
"Just give her time. She'll come back when she's ready."

"I apologise ."
Tenzin sighed, pulling his wife into an embrace.
"I've been uptight lately with everything that's happening at the Manor. I guess it doesn't help when my daughter isn't where I can see that she's safe."

"I understand. There's been no signs of The Red Lotus for weeks and its got everyone on edge." She said understandingly.
"You need a break, you're always working and it's affecting you for the worst."

Tenzin pulled away from the embrace and looked at his wife lovingly.
"You always know what to say."

"You don't call me your wife for nothing now do you?" Pema giggled, making her husband smile again.
"Maybe you should go visit Jinora and Katara. You haven't seen your mother in so long, I'm sure she'll love to see you."

"I was thinking about it but I can't leave my post. The Sato family is at high risk." Tenzin sighed, folding Jinora's letter up and placing it with the past letters she had sent previously.

Pema passed him a clean page and a pen.
"I'm sure they can afford to let the Colonel rest for a day or two."
Tenzin only hummed in a response as he started to write a letter back to Jinora, he started with he normal greeting that they always start their letters with. Pema spoke again as she watched him.
"If push comes to shove, just say that you're not well."

The older man let out a chuckle.
"I can't do that Pema . That's unprofessional."

"You could certainly get a pass though. You look like death." Pema commented, a playful smirk played on her lips.

Tenzin shook his head smiling and slid the paper over to his wife.
"Would you like to add anything?"

Pema nodded and added her part to the letter.
"So will you consider taking some time off?"

"I'll ask Mr Sato tomorrow morning. If that makes you happy." He said, kissing his beloved on the top of the head.

<->

Night had fallen fast upon the the town . No more than an hour ago the sky was painted with hues of red, orange and pink, but all the colour had now faded leaving only a black canvas with no stars to be looked upon. The darkness was thick and the candles in the street lamps hardly lit the street up at all. She could only see at most a few feet in front of herself but she knew where she was going.

Other than the darkness, herself and the Sato guards, all that seemed to exist was the cool wind . It's harsh bite could be felt through her blue coat, no matter how thick it was . She could feel the hairs on her arms raise and the bite of the wind had left its mark in the form of small bumps that were tingling on her skin. She wrapped the coat around herself more, clinging to it as this was the only thing she had left of her runaway friend . Though, she did have to make some adjustments since her old friend was smaller than her but now it fits her perfectly.