Chapter XLII

Korra propped her foot up against another free chair that was infront of her, she dabbed a cloth into a small bucket of water and rinsed it out. She slowly dragged the damp cloth over her boot, cleaning the mud that had been there since yesterday. There was absolutely no point in doing this at all but, Korra liked to keep herself somewhat presentable; even if it was only for a short moment.

She had slept well last night too, nightmare free in her own bed. Whatever remedy that Katara gave her certainly worked its magic however, she still would've liked to keep Asami company.

"Asami, there's a letter for you here." Katara said as she handed her the envelope. Asami thanked the older woman and took the brown envelope into her hands, it was from her parents. She had written letters back to them like they requested, some of them asking for her stay at Katara's to be extended. Hiroshi gladly let her stay with Katara for another week, Korra and Jinora agreed to stay with her too.

Her green eyes travelled down the page full of elegant writing, it was obvious that her mother had written this one this time.
"Opal has finally stepped out of her room." Asami announced to the table, making the women smile.
"She's doing well again."

"That's good to hear." Jinora said. As Asami continued to read on, her smile faltered; Jinora noticed this as well.
"What else is written on there?"

Asami handed Jinora the letter and sighed.
"I have to return to the Manor sooner than expected." The tall woman said, raising a brow as she saw that there was another page folded in the envolpe. She took it out and unfolded it in order to study it.

Korra perked up at this comment with confusion and glanced at the woman. They had agreed to stay at Katara's for another week or so, but looks like Hiroshi had other plans.
"Why is that?"

"Apparently, my personal guard, Mako saw a 'Red Lotus' assassin in the market yesterday." Asami explained, examining the sketch of a familiar man that her father had sent her.
"My father wants me home at once."

"Let me see." Korra said and shuffled around the table. Her blue eyes widened at the sketch.
"Kai?"

"He's worried that my whereabouts may be compromised." Asami said, giving Jinora a worried look.
"We need to leave soon."
Jinora only nodded and got up from the table, she'll have to escort Miss Sato home after all. She hurried into her room and started to pack her things, Katara followed and begun to help her.

Korra didn't take her eyes off the sketch. It was only a drawing, no reward written around it or anything. It wasn't a wanted poster, just a drawing of his face. What did this mean? What had Kai done? Or perhaps this was some sort of trick from Kuvira. Were they working together?
"What did your father say about Kai?" Korra asked.

"Mako mentioned that Kai looked suspicious in the market, like he was up to something." Asami explained, she could see that Korra was concerned and it was starting to worry her.

Was Kai after Miss Sato too? Korra knew that Asami was Eska and Desna's contract, but she knew how they worked. If Asami was noticed in the market then they would be all over her, she'd be dead in an instant. But, there was no way Korra would let them anywhere near Asami. But if Kai was working with them, then her job just got a whole lot harder.
"I'll need to talk to him, to see what he's up too." Korra said as she got up to her feet.

Asami gave her a frown.
"Are you sure that's a wise decision? you two didn't exactly leave eachother on a good note."

"I have to. What if he is after you." Korra huffed. There was no doubt that she was furious. They had one little fall out and now Kai was completely going rogue.