Chapter XII

Music fills the air without effort, like the waves filling holes in beach sand; the sound rushing in and around the manor. Her delicate fingers glided across the keys in a melody, not one mistake was made. The notes echoed through Asami's ears as she approached her mother that sat the piano. It was a grand structure standing in the center of the room ; all shiny, a chocolate brown. She sat on the stool next to Yasuko and the row of pure ivory keys march into her view. They shimmered in the sparkling light of the large chandelier that hung above them ; bright, beautiful, and breath taking. Yasuko stopped her playing, signalling the end of her song, and turned to smile at her daughter.

"That was Beautiful mother." Asami complimented , it had been a while since she heard her mother play like that.

"Thank you," She said, picking at the notes once more. It was a slower melody than the one she played before.
"Remember when you asked me to teach you this one?"

"Yes. I do." Asami giggled, watching her mothers hands dance across the keys. She closed her eyes and listened to the soft notes.

"Moonlight Sonata. Beethoven had a great mind. " Yasuko hummed.
"My favourite composer and pianist. I love his music."

"It's calming." Asami whispered, not wanting her voice to drown out the melody that her mother was playing.

"Do you want me to teach you properly this time?" The older woman said, finishing the song a little earlier than it was supposed to .

Asami's eyes fluttered open and met with Yasuko's.
"I'd love to but I don't think I'll have the patience." She said. It was partly true, last time she tried to learn she got frustrated and gave up on the third lesson with her mother.
"I prefer listening to you anyway."

Yasuko smiled and begun to play again. This time it was a lively, jumpy tune. Asami couldn't compreheand how fast her hands moved across each keys, playing the notes of the Turkish March. She was very talented , that was a fact.

Hiroshi smiled as he watched his wife and daughter at the piano together. He closed the door shut and continued his way to the office. He could still hear the strings from the piano echoing down the hallway. Beautiful as always.

"Sir." Tenzin greeted him as Hiroshi entered the office. Mr Sato nodded back and took his place around the table.

Lin Beifong took out her pen from her front pocket and tapped out a position on the map.
"We have placed more guards here like you requested."

"Good. Has there been any more sightings?" He asked, crossing his arms.

Lin shook her head.
"None at all. The last one was when Jinora saw Korra at the lake and that was days ago."

"Perhaps they're planning something." The Colonel presumed.
"Possibly preparing an attack on the manor."

"I fear that Colonel Tenzin might be right . We should place more guards around the town just to be sure . We could cover more ground that way." Lin announed, pointing her pen across the map into different areas.

"That's a valid point Captain but if we place more guards out then there will be less in here protecting my family." Mr Sato explained.
"I want them to be safe."

The Colonel and Captain glanced at eachother for a moment.
"We will protect you and your family sir. You have our word ."

<->

Her nose tingled with the familiar aroma that dissipated into the crisp air she breathed. Her eyes gradually opened in order to see what was triggering her sense of smell. However, she had closed them tight again when the brightness of the sunlight was too much. Her eyelids blinked and soon her irises adjusted to the light of dawn . Her cheek was resting against a soft pillow as she laid on her front, the muscles of her body were weak and her throat was painfully dry. The hairs on her skin stood up as a cool breeze brushed across her exposed back . She was still dressed in her chest wrappings and trousers .