The Kids with Scars

Midoriya hugged the girl, now known to him as Eri, tighter as he glared at the floor, doing his best to calm down. He wasn't going to let go, but he wasn't too willing to blow their cover either. To Chisaki, he was just doing his work, butting into business he wasn't asked to engage in. Quite literally in this situation, but that's something only the heroes and Togata needed to know.

"I'm sorry about my daughter, hero." Chisaki apologized perfunctorily, glaring at the squatting Midoriya, ignoring Togata's presence as his eyes focused on the greenette and the now completely shaking girl in his hands. Midoriya grit his teeth and the disconcerting glare, almost as if Chisaki was trying to read him, but he quickly regained his composure and focused onto the girl in his hands. Who, by the way, even though was breathing heavily and shaking with sobs, wasn't making a sound. And Midoriya knew that reaction too well to let Chisaki off the hook without doing something.

"It's alright. Eri, right? Are you okay?" Midoriya asked casually, doing his best to play his part of being a concerned hero. Even though he was the one who pulled away to see Eri's face, he wanted to hug the shaking girl once again, but he knew better than to know that. Although, his calmness faltered as he saw the panicked, wide red eyes, tears rolling down the girl's face. Eri didn't respond, but her look said it all. The bandages said it all. Her overly untidy and long hair said it all.

Because Midoriya had also looked somewhat similar to her a few years ago, after he was kidnapped.

Chisaki, seeming to notice how Midoriya was examining Eri's bandages, chuckled somewhat sadly, the action half-hearted and humorless.

"She likes to play around a lot and keeps getting hurt. I don't know what to do with her..." Chisaki lied easily. Midoriya knew he was lying. No one would be as scared to make a noise if it was just scratches caused by accidents.

People run like that from punishment.

"Izuku, where are you?" A black haired male called out, his voice playful and eager. Midoriya shook in fear as he tried to hold his breath, only to let out loud gasps a few seconds later, running out of air quicker from the panicking. He had broken one of the few glasses they had left in the "cafeteria", and it was this villain's turn to punish the troublemaker.

They took turns, and Midoriya immediately started running after noticing the one man who stood up from a nearby table, the other men cheering as they whistled and encouraged the man. Now, Midoriya had run into one of the bedrooms, which wasn't his own, but he was far from caring; the footsteps were getting louder, and his voice was way too audible for Midoriya's liking.

"Izuku, come on now. I know where you are, there's no use hiding."

He wasn't lying, because seconds later, the door of the room he was in opened, and he held back a scream as he shook underneath the bed, doing his best to calm his rapid breathing. The man went quiet, but his footsteps were all Midoriya needed to hear to know that he was coming closer.

All Midoriya had time to do before getting yanked from underneath the bed by his leg was yell, and all he could do was scream in pain and despair as the crowbar rose above the weak 9 year-old, praying that he would faint as soon as possible...

"...Anyway, we need to finish patrolling this division by lunch. Let's go!" Togata suddenly said, and Midoriya was snapped out of his memory as he slightly turned towards Togata, side-eyeing him with anger. He couldn't just let the girl go. He couldn't just leave. He was wrong about Togata. He didn't understand. He didn't know what people really needed saving.

But he knew he couldn't disobey, because he couldn't reject commands, no matter whom the commands were from.

"Eri...I'll come back after you. Wait for me." Midoriya whispered, stroking her hair as he whispered into her ear. Midoriya stood up, and Eri gasped as she desperately clutched at Midoriya, and fuck, Midoriya felt like he was getting stabbed in the chest. He needed the girl to trust him, but he knew how awful he was in her eyes. Although, he didn't have any other choice.