Chapter 31

~Maddie's POV~

Ian's condition got better after the others have left... And thats great. That the others have left, i mean, though Ian getting better is also great too.

Its just that i feel like i'm, like, more alone, even more alone than Jerome, since i'm the new one here. It's just a relief that the others aren't around to see me so awkward.

So imagine my surprise when there was a knock at the door. I left Ian's side for a bit and went downstairs to open the door, and then Mitch, Jerome and Seto walked in.

Mitch seemed frustrated, Jerome seemed... Normal... And Seto was looking exhausted.

"Welcome back," I said, smiling. Pushing away the awkwardness that wanted to surface, i went over to the fridge and got out some buckets of water for them to refresh themselves. They sat at the dining table and just started whispering among themselves.

Seto ignored the water bucket i set down, but Mitch and Jerome drank it all and then continued to talk.

I didn't want to interrupt, so i began to walk up the stairs again, but then Jerome called me.

"Maddie! Why don't you stay and join us?"

I know i've been working at a club, but working in dim lighting compared to interaction in broad daylight is a bit different. I felt so self-conscious when i sat down next to Seto, who was practically half-asleep.

"So what did you guys find?" I asked them. Mitch and Jerome took turns to fill me in, since Seto was already slumped forward, snoozing.

"So Ty is safe with Skybrine?" I said, surprised. Skybrine had been a legend in the club, and i had heard he waa famous for using violence to get what he wanted.

"Guess Ty didn't want to get hurt," Mitch shrugged. "She may be thinking of a plan to get back to us, or maybe to Layla."

"Yeah, what happened to Layla?" I asked. "Did you guys find her?"

"Well she was in Enderlox's cave," Jerome said, putting his chin on the table. They all looked tired, actually. "But they were both missing. In fact, the only person I saw at Enderlox's cave is Skybrine, and also Ty when she popped up from a tunnel on the floor."

"Then maybe Layla and Enderlox are downstairs," I suggested. Jerome looked at me like i had grown two heads. "What?" I protested. "If she came up fron underground then that means there's a second floor, ain't it?"

"Well..." Mitch scratched his arm. "That is a possibility. We haven't been to Enderlox's place for so long... Maybe he refurnished the place."

"We'll have to go down there and check on them again," Jerome stretched and yawned, and stood up. "But not now. The adrenaline has left me... And now i am so tired."

"Same, dude," Mitch stood up and smiled at me. "Thanks for taking care of the house and Ian, Maddie. You've been a great help."

Then they both went up the stairs.

A great help? Me? I didn't feel like i did anything at all except be... There. But i guess i did help, by existing. I went upstairs too and into Ian's room, since i don't want to get others' rooms. Ian was still sleeping soundly. I considered waking him up but no, he needed his rest before the battle for Layla and Ty.

I went to the balcony and leaned against the railing, watching the trees sway in the afternoon wind. It was certainly a difference from her crappy underground cave which was supplied by the club for the waiters and waitresses.

~Layla's POV~

I was sleeping so soundly, it was like the best sleep i had had in ages.

And then someone had to ruin it. I don't know how, just that someone had ruined it. One moment i was sleeping, and the next thing i knew i was blinking and there were dim lights all over the place.

I remembered what had happened - me more or less throwing Enderlox against the wall and then feeling bad about it. Its not my fault i was raised to have compassion and sympathy, some things some people in this world seemed to lack.

Anyway Enderlox was not in the same room with me when I woke up. I climbed the ladder back upstairs and then remembered about the computer program about Seto's Black Magic powers when i saw Enderlox sitting at the computer.

It didn't seem like he was typing in command codes for Black Magic, though. Instead it looked like he was just typing on an ordinary notepad. Wait... Did he keep an online journal?

I silently stepped into the room, but it wasn't silent enough and Enderlox snapped his fingers, and the computer shut down. Then he turned to face me. His wing was bandaged but it didn't seem too bad. I'm just hoping he won't miss flying too much.

"So... Now that you're awake..." he started uncertainly. It seemed like he didn't know what to do with me. I could feel the redstone humming in the walls. I'm sure he felt it too, if he was in the mood.

"I'm, uhm, hungry?" I said awkwardly. And since i don't know where he stored his food...

"Okay," he said and got up from the chair, his wing dangling awkwardly and bumping into his chair. He just stood there looking at me.

"What?" I felt self-conscious. Enderlox made a little turn-around gesture. I rolled my eyes but turned around. Its just food.

Well, okay, its food. I would raid the whole place to find out where Enderlox keeps his food if i get hungry. Or bored.

I heard something click and then some whirring. Then i felt something touch my shoulder and i immediately jumped, and smacked the thing hard.

"WHAT THE FUCK?!" i shrieked and turned around, stepping backwards. I saw Enderlox with his hand stretched out. There was a piece of steak in his other hand.

"Did I scare you?" he asked, a little frown on his face. He lowered his hand. "Sorry." He threw the steak onto the ground and i picked it up and ate it, replenishing my hunger bar.

And then we just stood there awkwardly, looking at anywhere but each other.

HEY GUYS HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!!!

I'LL UPDATE MORE OFTEN, COZ I HAVE LIKE TWO WEEKS OF HOLIDAYS!!