Matters Of The Heart...

The next day Y/N went on to her lessons with Brokkr. She had mastered so much since working with him, from creating energy to stabilising life force and even creating life. She had only managed small things like generating plant growth and creating small gravitational pulls, but give her another year she was sure to be able to build a small moon.

Today was different. Brokkr was incredibly irritable and mean, and the training was gruelling. It had taken all her energy to complete the tasks. He seemed to be in a rush, like he was trying to reach a deadline of some sort, to what deadline she didn't know.

'You're testing my patience!' he yelled as he struck out at her and she missed his hand narrowly.

'Watch it, you nearly hit me!' She spat her words, as she raised her hand her power knocking him on his back 'You are meant to teach me and all you have done is behave like a brat.' She threw down a staff he had asked her to practice with, to see if she could infuse weapons with magic.

'You need to start using your powers correctly, I know the jolt you need.' Grabbing her hand he dragged her along a small path. Y/N rolled her eyes wondering what bullshit was now in store for her. He lead her deeper into the forest, into a small glade where a black horse was grazing. Its mane and tail was jet black and like fine silk glistening in the sun and stood Stark against the green of the forest.

'Control it.' Brokkr Smiled. Y/N looked at him confused by his instruction but did as she was told. she walked out into the glade and the horse looked up in curiosity and fear. She looked to its head and gasped at what she saw.

Is that a... Horn? Holy shit is this a unicorn? Y/N thought with wonder. She had never seen anything so beautiful in her life, this animal was huge and strong. One false move and she realised it could kick her square in the face. Suddenly it reared up at her and she stepped back avoiding it's hooves. 'Stop that at once!' she sapped. The animal stopped and looked at her confused. It had listened to her and done as she had asked. She walked forward and stroked its mane, such a beautiful animal and enormous she was terrified of it.

'Now, immobilise it.' she turned to see Brokkr standing there commanding she freeze the animal on the spot. Holding up her hands Y/N covered the creature in a shimmering blue light that froze it in time. She smiled when she saw how amazing her powers were, even Loki would be impressed. All she wanted was to be worthy of him, and what better way than to become just as powerful and embrace her gift?

'Every creature has power, from Valhalla to Midgard, and what makes it so powerful is its heart. Now my dear, take this creatures heart. Make a portal through its chest and steal it.' Brokkr grinned a sickening smile and Y/N furrowed her brows at him in protest.

'I don't want to hurt it!' She cried out, this poor thing was looking frantic, the whites of it's eyes showing in a pure panic. Y/N felt sick at the sight of it as it had trusted her however unwisely.

'You will only hurt it if you do it wrong.' he assured, nodding at her to encourage the action. The idea of stealing the heart of such a beautiful this was horrifying to her. And even worse, was the idea that this creature could feel pain. Back home, her entire ethos about animals had been about protecting and conservation, but here she had been made to change her perception to survive and be able to eat. Still, this action was too much. But she knew she would not hear the end of it until she at least attempted this feat.

Focusing her powers Y/N put her hand to its chest and felt her hands crackle with energy. She saw its skin shimmer like water as her hand went into the beasts chest, felt its heart beating. Y/N couldn't help but feel sick but as she pulled it out she saw it was the most magical thing she had ever seen. It was a heart but it glowed a pure red light. 'It's beautiful!' She exclaimed admiring this magical object.

'Now crush it.' laughed Brokkr. His laugh was manic like that of an excited child. Y/N wasn't sure if he was actually mad, but he played crazy really well.

'What?' Y/N was shocked. Was this his entire plan to make her a killer? 'I don't want to kill people, or anything for that matter. Why would I kill this creature it's innocent.' 

'Nothing is innocent my dear, nothing at all. All life is corruptible and can be turned to darkness.' He turned cold, like something had come over him, a memory of some kind. 'You don't get to decide what is to be and not to be killed. Just do it, or I will dismiss you as my student.'

Just like that, she placed the heart back and released her hold over it. The creature ran into the forest never to be seen again and Y/N looked straight at Brokkr. 'Consider me expelled.'

She made her way back to the palace, half expecting Brokkr to follow her but he didn't.

How fucking dare he, I don't need that arsehole. I can look after myself and hone my powers on my own. Y/N Thought to herself. She walked through brushes and vegetation when she heard something. She was being followed, she knew this now as she could sense someone watching her. Her first thought was to Brokkr but it wasn't him, it was something a lot more dangerous.

She turned to see a woman like Ronan who attacked her that day in the palace. This one was a strong and began to rush towards her. Her Skin was blue, and her head was bald with what looked metal pieces sticking from her head. Y/N began to run now through the forest away from this woman that obviously meant her harm.  Y/N tripped over a log and scrambled on her feet to get back up but it was too late, this alien bitch grabbed onto her putting her in a choke hold. She batted at the Alien hands struggling to keep her breath in her body as she squeezed.

Y/N Heard a loud crack and the hold was released and saw the alien woman unconscious. Y/N turned to see a hand outstretched to meet hers. 'Thank you, I don't know how I can repay you, you saved my life.' Y/N looked up to the woman now before her. The woman looked oddly familiar.

The woman had the longest hair and glowing skin, she dressed in a blue and white traveling double jacket and dress. She reached out to Y/N and stroked her face and Y/N feeling so uncomfortable pulled away. The woman simply looked at her with the most serene look on her face.

'It's alright, surely it's a mother's prerogative the look after her daughter.'