Happy Ever After?

Y/N and the group came upon the lake. Or at least what was left of it. It was as dry as a bone, filled with the remnants of animals, dead and now skeletal.

The trees around it were dead, and in the centre, the remains of a triton.

'Your handiwork?' Thor said solumnly.

'This is my fault. The Triton, I killed it. And it deatroyed the link between here and Asgard.'

Y/N walked through into the middle of the sand now, and looked around. It would be the same of Asgard too no doubt.

Gamora stepped forward and put her hand on Y/N' shoulder. 'You must not lose hope. My mother, she brought me up near a lake. There may well still be water. You just need to know where to look.'

Nitid began to stir and Y/N ran over to comfor her. Thor and Loki walked to Gamora.

'What do you need from us to find this?' Thor asked Gamora.

'I need your eyes and your attention. There has to be water left somewhere.'

Gamora turned and something caught her eye. A small shell sat in a log, stilled filled with water!

'Here there is water enough for one sip!' She looked over to Y/N unsure what to do.

Y/N looked down to Nitid, 'See, we are going to get through this!'

Nitid looked back with a certain sadness that shook Y/N to the core, one that she recognised, as she had felt it when she had told Loki that she didnt love him to spare him the hurt of one day losing her.

'You must drink that drop. You must take it.' Nitid said weakly, struggling for words. Y/N shook her head profusely and began dabbing Nitid's fevered brow of sweat.

'Don't be ridiculous. You're taking the water and we are going back to Asgard. You're going to come back and some how fit in with Odin and Frigga and we will be some sort of mad family.'

Nitid touched her face, 'No, you're taking it. There is no argument. You need to, I want you to have it. You will understand one day, that parents sacrafice everything for their children. Because they love them. They even sacrifice themselves.'

Y/N looked over to Loki. 'Honestly? My luck with mother figures have never been great. My earth mum wasn't exactly what I would say maternal. Maybe it's a sign I should stay away from the role all together.'

Gamora poured the collected water into a cateen and moved forward with Thor, Loki and Brokkr to bring the water over to Nitid.
'Drink it, and we can be on our way.' Thor smiled. Nitid put the canteen to her lips and drank the water . Nothing happened.

'I don't understand, it should work!'
Y/N cried.

'It's alright, maybe she needs time to heal?' Loki tried to console her but it was no use. They all knew that this water would, or should work instantly.

'It's okay Y/N, Loki. Everyone. You did all you could. It just isn't on the cards for me to live. I wanted so much to stay with you Y/N, and start a life with you. But you don't need me. You never did. You have found a real family.'

Y/N began to cry, and Loki put his arm around her, wishing he could soothe the pain in her heart at this moment.

'But there is something you could do for me,' Nitid smiled, 'I want more than anything, to live long enough... to see you married.'

Thor looked bemused and gave a side glance to Loki. 'Come now, I know Loki proposed,' Nitid vontinued 'I heard you talking about it. All we need is someone to officiate it.'