Nanny

The next morning they ducked out of the cave, it was now quiet and calm with no sounds of crying or darkness looming. They walked through the vegetation of the dense rainforest . It was hot and humid, the leaves and plants were wet from overnight rainfall and the intermittent cool breeze and smell of rain was a comfort to Y/N, reminded her of home. Her mind drifted to the past and her first day on Asgard and how she got there, she had been wondering for some time if she had been sent on purpose or if it was merely a coincidence.

More and more it had seemed like the former. I mean, who opens up a portal in Manchester for gods sake? And in a car park of a car showroom? All these things happened in New York for sure but never the UK. As the group walked following the map, Y/N turned to Nitid. 'Look, I'm sorry for what I said back there. I didn't mean to upset you or to make you feel bad about the past. Nothing we can do about it and you were just doing the best you could.'

Nitid smiled, 'No, I understand. I can't imagine what you went through or how your life was different to others. I couldn't be a mother. Your life would have had nothing with me. You needed to be with other mortals.'

'Yeah, I get it, I just... I would have appreciated some kind of connection with you? Or maybe even just a visit or something?'

'I couldn't just visit you, it never would have worked. You would never have accepted when I would have to leave.'

'How do you know? I could have been happy knowing you-'

'Because I tried.' Nitid blurted.

Everyone turned including Brokkr. The outburst had shaken Nitid and her usual cool composure.

'When you were a child, I came to see you. You were around six years old. I watched you in the play ground on your own and I came and spoke to you. I told you everything and I told you how much I wanted to bring you home with me but I couldn't. I told you just how lucky you were and that one day you would understand.'

'How come I don't remember?' Memories raced through Y/N's mind and she could not recall anything.

'You wont. When I walked away you tried to follow me. I didn't know. When I turned you were in the middle of the street, you know you had no sense of danger. From the first time I dropped in on you, I knew you were a little dare devil. You were hurt in that road, and I realised then that I couldn't even protect you from the every day.'

'Okay, you're talking about someone else because I never was in a car accident. I was never hurt this is insane!'

'Yes you were! I healed you! I healed you, took away the memory and put you on the other side. The school found you in the park across the road.'

Y/N was quiet, she remembered that day. She remembered walking across the road and then playing on the swings and slide when a teacher brought her back. She remembered them asking how she got out, and why she left. she couldn't remember, only that she wanted to leave and walk across the road.

'I remember that day. They kept asking me why I left, where was I going. I couldn't remember. My mother was furious. They just thought I ran away to the park.'

'And that is why, I never took you back.' Nitid said quietly. 'I could never be a mother to you.'

Y/N nodded and tried to come to terms with what Nitid was telling her. She took a deep breath before turning to the group. 'Right guys, let's get to this ship. Stop all the dilly dallying.'

In an uncomfortable silence they journeyed on, Loki staying close to Y/N and hoping he would not touch her as she could feel at any moment her heart would break from her mothers rejection and admission.