•20•

"At this point.. is there even a chance?" I ask Doctor Miller as we stand in the hallway. Stass is doing her laps down the length of the hallway and back with a nurse for physical therapy. She's doing so much better now physically, but she still doesn't remember.
"It's hard to say. Sometimes it comes back in a week, sometimes it takes a month, or in other cases.. not at all. I really couldn't say." She answers honestly.
I'm just so thankful it was only a few years she lost. She's still the same girl, this is harder on Haz than anyone because it's him that she's forgotten.
She finally gets to go home tomorrow, and Haz will be going home too, to take care of her. It will be so nice to finally have our house to ourselves again, I missed having all the alone time with Tom.
I also took my first fertility pill today, and I'm just praying they work. I want this so bad, and I know Tom wants it badly too.
Stassie makes it back to us, smiling proudly at her accomplishment of doing all of her laps without a break.
"I'm killin it." She giggles.
We leave the doctors and nurses, going back into her room. Tom took Haz out to the bar to get him to take a break and relax a bit, which Stassie pushed. He thinks she needs him here with her all the time, but I think she gets a bit overwhelmed by him.
"I can't wait until this nightmare is over and I can go to the bar again." She mutters.
Her brows knit together, and she looks off into the distance, seemingly deep in thought.
"Lia.." she trails off.
"Yeah Stass?" I ask.
"Did you pour beer on my head?" She questions and my mouth drops, audibly gasping.
"You remember?!" I exclaim.
"When was that? Am I remembering?" She says more so to herself than to me.
"Stassie that was last week! Oh my god you're remembering! Haz will be so happy!"
"Do you think more memories will come?" She asks.
"I know they will." I smile.
It's something small right now.. but she will remember Harrison soon enough.
_____next day_____
My first day back at work.. Haz picked up Stass from the hospital this morning, and they're trying desperately to spark more memories for her.  I really hope they are successful.
"Good morning George." I greet my assistant.
"Morning Mrs. Holland. Good to have you back." He nods.
"Any meetings today?" I question.
"One. With Keith Pierson." He says.
"There must be a mistake." I say, brows scrunched together in confusion.
George looks at the computer once more, and shakes his head.
"Whoops, sorry." He says. "You're right, that's Mr. Holland's meeting, not yours."
I know Tom was talking about sabotaging Dereks job at Pierson enterprises but I didn't think he'd go to the lengths of meeting with Keith Pierson in person. That's a bit excessive.
"Does it have a meeting reason put down?" I ask.
"Nope, just that it's at 11." He says.
"Alright. Thank you.."
I go into my office, and open my emails from from the construction manager in Florida. The resort is fully built, and is ready for the painting and furnishings I picked to be implemented. I missed working on this project this past week, it's my baby. I email them asking for an opening estimate, and they email back that we could be ready as soon as the end of the month. This is it.. my first solo project coming to life.
I hear my office door open, and continue to type out my email.
"What do you need?" I question whoever has walked in.
"Hey Mel."
I feel my whole body go cold, and I look up to see the one and only, Derek Kingston. His eyes are wide, and his hands are shaky.. he looks like he's on drugs or something. He's definitely not stable right now.
"How did you get in here?" I ask.
"Hopped on my bosses computer the other day, and was very surprised when I saw an email from Tom Holland." He grins. "Saw he was trying to sabotage my job so I played along, made an appointment which is how I got in here. Did you know your security doesn't even check ID's? That's not safe."
Tom was never talking to Keith Pierson.. it was Derek the whole time. He's crossed a line, he's just getting crazier and crazier.
"Why are you here Derek?" I ask.
"Your husband tried to sabotage my life, so I'm going to sabotage his." He says.
"If you don't leave now, I'm going to call security." I threaten.
"Oh.. I wouldn't do that." He says.
I watch as his shaky hand reaches into his back pocket, and it pulls a small silver pistol. Instantly it becomes hard to breathe, and I panic. He's had mental breaks before.. but it has never gotten this bad. What has happened to him? I never thought he would hit this kind of low..
"You ruined everything!" He exclaims in a distressed tone.
There's only one way to calm him down when he's like this.
"Derek.. it's okay.." I say softly. "I had no clue Tom was meeting with your boss. I would never let him do that.. I care about you."
I try to make the words as believable as possible. I need to make it out of this room.
"You don't mean that." He shakes his head.
"I do. I love you Derek. I was terrible to you."
"Then why did you leave me?!" He asks angrily.
"Because you deserve better than what I could give you..."
He slowly starts to lower the gun, but I keep my eyes connected to his. I'm scared that if I even look away for a split second, I'm dead.
"You're right. I do deserve better than that." He says.
"You do.." I slowly start to stand up, and move towards him. "You deserve a better life Derek."
I hold my hand out, and he looks from the gun, to me. He sets it in my hand, and I move to put it on the top of my desk.
His arms wrap around my waist, and he starts to cry hysterically. Even after all he's done.. how much he's broken me.. I can't help but feel bad. He has mental illness. He needs help. Desperately.
"I'm going to get you help." I tell him.
I reach into my pocket, and pull out my phone.
"What are you doing?" He asks.
"I'm getting you help." I state.
"No- Mel no I don't need it-"
"Yes you do." I say.
I dial emergency services, and Derek stands there completely delusional. He's lost himself.
"Hi, my name is Amelia Holland and I'm calling from Holland enterprises. My ex boyfriend showed up with a gun, but has been disarmed. I need someone right away."
"Are you safe? Is he with you?" The woman asks.
"Yes." I answer.
"We're sending people now."
Soon enough three police men walk into my office, armed and ready just in case. Dereks eyes shoot to mine, but then all his attention is trained on the cops.
"What is going on- what the hell?" Tom says as he walks into my office, seeing Derek being restrained.
"Is this the gun?" One of the police men asks me.
"It is." I nod.
He uses a glove to grab the gun, and puts it in an evidence bag. Tom grabs my arm, and makes me look at him.
"What happened? Are you okay?" He questions me.
"I'm okay." I nod and he wraps his arms around me, tightly holding me against his body.
They take Derek out, and I let out a breath of relief. I can't believe that just happened.
"We're going to need to ask you some questions." The cop holding the evidence bag says.
"Anything." I nod.
"Meet us down at the police station. We will get all the information we need." He nods, and leaves the office.
I break down, and cling to Tom tightly.
"He had the gun pointed at me Tom.. he was going to kill me." I cry.
"You're safe now love. I've got you." He whispers. "I'm so sorry I wasn't here.."
"He lost it. There wasn't an ounce of decency or humanity left in him." I mutter.
"You will never see that man again. I will take care of this. I can promise you that."

A/N: can you tell I miss writing mafia stories?

!!! IMPORTANT !!! I will be switching to updating every other day for the next week. We will go back to our normal schedule soon💙