Neighborly love pt 3

"You ready?" Derek asked as he snuck up behind me as I was getting ready.
"Oh dear lord Derek you scared me!" I sighed as I put my hand over my chest to make sure my heart was still beating.
"Sorry. Not my fault your wolfy senses suck." He crossed his arms.
I put my necklace on but fumbled with the lock.
"Ugh, I can never get this one on."
"Here, let me." Derek offered.
He walked behind me and took the necklace from my hands. His hands were larger which caused a mobility issue when it came to smaller things. I felt his fingers gently graze my neck every so often which sent chills down my spine.
"There you go." He nodded
"Thanks." I smiled
"Yep, now are you ready?"
"Derek you asked me that two minutes ago."
"And now I'm asking you again."
"Yes I'm ready." I quickly threw on a pair of nicer sneakers and shut my light off in my room.
I was wearing a springy outfit to match the vibes of the weather, although it was supposed to rain today so I took a jacket with me just in case.
I adjusted my hair and walked out to the car with him.
"It's beautiful out this morning."
"Yeah it is!"
Derek and I were planning on going to dinner, but had to change plans when he remembered he had a pack meeting today, so we compromised on breakfast.
"So where are we going for breakfast?"
"Oh you'll see."
He drove for a little while before pulling up to a small breakfast place. I smiled at the cute floral outside and told Derek I loved it.
"It's pretty isn't it? I've come here for breakfast ever since I was little. It's homey to me."
"Aw, that's so sweet Derek."
"Yeah yeah okay, that's enough sappy stuff for an entire day." He grumbled as he became aware of the emotion in the air.
"Come on! I'm starving." I giggled as I got out of his nice clean black car.

"Derek! You've come back! We thought you'd have left forever!" A nice small blonde woman said. She was on the curvier side and was shorter than average. She gave Derek a quick hug which he reacted surprised to.
"Yes Tia. I'm back."
"And who is this? A girl?! Is she... ya know?"
"Uh... not... not yet Tia."
She gasped
"Is this a date?" She whispered to Derek but loud enough for me to hear.
"I guess you could call it that." Derek blushed slightly
Tia squealed and hugged Derek.
"I have to tell Harry! He's gonna freak."
"Can we have a table Tia?" Derek asked as a way to state the obvious.
"Oh you two pick wherever," she waved her hand to the tables "I don't care."
She walked away quickly and Derek looked down at my hand. He gently took it and lead me to a table.
"Here good?" He asked looking down at me from the side.
"Sure." I nodded
We sat and waited for a waiter. We just talked lightly and joked around
"So do they know?"
"You're gonna have to be a bit more specific on that one question, dear." Derek said after taking a drink of coffee from a little white ceramic mug.
"Do these people know about... you."
"Yes," he nodded and set his cup down "they do."
"What do they think?"
"Did you see the way they reacted when I came in. They love me no matter what."
"What would they think of another werewolf joining you?"
"They'd love that even more. Almost as much as I would." Derek looked down at his coffee after speaking.
I started to blush at his words and let them ring in my mind.
As if almost on queue, a waiter came out and chatted with Derek before we got to order.
We ordered quickly and the waiter, who's name on the tag was Jackson, gave Derek a two finger wave, a wink and walked off.
"All these people are so nice." I laughed
"They are all family. And part of mine too."
"Doesn't your own family miss you?" I giggled
Dereks face dropped and he looked away.
"Did I say something insensitive?" I asked worried.
"No it's just... I don't really have a family."
"My mom, dad, and older sister passed away in a house fire. My younger sister who I thought was dead, made it out. I found her about a year ago but she passed away later after she got sick. I tried to save her but it didn't work." He mumbled his whole speech.
"Oh my god Derek. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to be rude."
"No it's alright. You didn't know." I grabbed his hands and held them firmly. "That's why I have them. They are my family now. And they always will be. They've always treated me like a son, or a brother, or a best friend."
"That's wonderful Derek. I'm glad you have something like this. I'm lowkey jealous."
"No you're not. They are crazy!" He laughed
"Crazy's good sometimes." I giggled