Hes your son pt 2

Derek will not be dying in any of my Eli and Derek stories. Sorry if you wanted the angst but I just don't accept that as canon 😂
~~~~~~~~~~
Derek and Eli found themselves at the dinner table after they had eaten their last meal of the day. Y/n offered to clean up the plates and wipe everything down while Derek and Eli talked.
Derek shifted in his seat uncomfortably and Eli clapped his hands trying to find the right words to start this whole thing off.
"So, dad, uh... what's it like being a dog?" He tried to say something serious but it just couldn't come out of him.
"We aren't dogs Eli. We are wolves."
"I'm just trying to lighten the mood."
"I get it. But it doesn't have to be uncomfortable. It's a part of who we are."
"I just wish it was easier."
"I know. I do too. I want you to be able to join me and understand things the way I do. In this family im the one who can help you because I've been through exactly what you will go through."
"Is it gonna be scary?"
Derek sighed and looked at the floor. He gave a shrug and looked back at his son.
"Sometimes it may. Especially when it comes to firsts. The first couple months, im not going to lie, are pretty rough for most people. But after that, once you start getting used to things, it gets easier. And luckily you have so many people around you who know what it's like."
"Does it hurt?"
"To transform?" Eli nodded in response "Not really. The gums will ache a little when the teeth grow in. But everything else shouldn't hurt. More just feels like an itch that can't be scratched until you're fully transformed."
"Will I be a wolf like you?"
Derek shrugged
"I don't know. It's purely evolutionary. You have a good chance. I'm able to, your aunt was able to, and so was your grandmother. It's a sign of high power and ability."
"When was your first transformation?"
"Around your age. I was in high school."
Eli went quiet. He averted his gaze from his father and y/n stopped wiping the table when she knew her son was upset.
"What is it Eli?" Derek asked searching for his sons eyes.
"Why..." Eli started but abruptly closed his mouth. He tried again "Why can't I do it, dad?"
Y/n felt her heart break. All she wanted to do was hold her son and tell him he was perfect. But she also knew he needed to feel this.
"I don't know. It could be many things. It could just be that you are later than most people. It could be psychological. You might subconsciously be scared it it. Or it could just be that you only have half of the werewolf genes and it'll take longer."
Y/n chuckled awkwardly.
"Yeah that's on me. My bad guys." She joked. Eli chuckled at his mom.
"There are so many things that could be affecting it. But I think it might come on sooner if you stop stressing about it so hard. If it happens it happens, if it doesn't, it doesn't. But you're killing yourself by worrying so much."
"I'm not worried."
"Yes you are." Y/n interjected
"How do you know?"
"Stealing the jeep? Psychologically, You do it because you know it pisses him off." She pointed to her husband who was just waiting for her to dissect their son "in pissing him off you see it as a way to separate yourself from him hoping to further your chances of being a werewolf. That's one point for anxiety. You also completely avoid the topic. Not because you truly don't care about it but because you're so scared to prepare for it because then that just solidifies that you're going to turn at some point. Another point for anxiety. And finally, whether or not you want to turn is your issue. But not only do you stress about turning you also stress about not turning. Possibly because you believe your dad will be disappointed in you. Another point for anxiety. Maybe even two?"
Derek, while looking at his son, held out his hand for his wife to high five. Y/n, who was leaning on the counter stared at her son while high fiving her husband.
"You scare me sometimes. Like genuinely." Eli gaped as he couldn't process what she just did.
"I'm your mom Eli. I know everything about you." She told him as she pushed off the counter "and more importantly, I know what it's like to feel out of place in the world of the supernatural. It can be confusing and almost demoralizing. It's hard to feel weird in a world of weirdos."
"I'm not weird." Derek defended
"You're literally a dog Derek."
"OH-I'm not a dog! I'm a wolf!"
"Yeah? Well wolf or dog the hair on my couch is still a nightmare." Y/n motioned to the black hair that was sticking wildly into the couch.
Eli was laughing to himself quietly, just glad he wasn't the target of his moms late night sass anymore.
"Eli, I may give you your physical traits but you get all of your attitude from your mother." Derek stood and patted his son on the back.
"I'm glad. She's funny." Eli looked at his mom with an amused look.
"I'm glad you think so, baby." She smiled.
Eli stood up from his chair as well and walked to his room. Y/n had a smile plastered on as she finished cleaning in the kitchen.
The yellow lights in the kitchen had become the only source of light and the crickets could be heard through the walls. Y/n found herself scrolling aimlessly through tv channels and was about to give up when Derek sat down next to her.
"I can't believe you called me a dog. It's one thing coming from Eli. But you?"
Y/n looked over at him and pouted.
"Aw. I'm sorry my sweet boy. Do you want some ear rubs to make it better?"
Derek scoffed at her in astonishment. He shook his head with his arms crossed
"You are so mean to me."
"I'm just messing with you Derek. You know I think you're one of the most incredible people I've ever met." Y/n had scooted closer to him and rested her head on his shoulder.
"You really think so?"
"I do." She removed her head from his shoulder and looked at him "I think you're beautiful both human and wolf. And I think that you are one of the most caring people ever. I think that you're amazing with Eli even if it seems to go wrong. And most importantly I think you're the most attractive man I've ever met."
It wasn't y/ns intention to lead Derek on. But Derek saw her compliments as an invitation to get closer to her. He pulled her closer to his side but in these attempts for closeness her body started to fall on top of him. He guided her chin with his thumb and index finger to kiss her. Derek found his hands wandering over her body and rested them on her hips. She had no trouble continuing the kiss without his guide. It was rare now that they found time to spend together like this. In no way were they completely celibate, but the usually just found themselves too tired to connect like they used to. Along with having a kid in the house, the opportunities were rare.
Neither of them found themselves wanting to continue down this path tonight so they retracted their bodies from one another and repositioned to cuddle on the couch.
Y/n sighed and rested herself against Derek who was exceptionally warm. She cuddled in, nuzzling her nose into his neck. She hummed in delight at his presence.
"You smell good." She whispered to him and have his shoulder a peck before placing the side of her head on his shoulder to rest.
"It's that cologne that you bought me. It actually doesn't make my nose itchy."
"That's good. I know scents are hard on your canine nose." She looked up at him and booped his nose softly. Derek grabbed her hand gently and carried it back down to his lap. He didn't let go of her hand and just wanted to hold more of her.
The couple had gone still. Neither of them truly were paying attention to the show. They were watching but more focused on the other next to them. Y/n felt her eyes get heavy. Her body started to fall loose and sunk into Derek deeper.
After some moments of complete silence and stillness. Y/n abruptly flinched. She cranked her arm behind her to scratch her back.
"Itchy?" Derek asked
"It's your damn hair."