Quiet little nights

The house was quiet. And the thin walls let the sound of crickets buzz through the house. Derek had yet to get up and close the curtains so they could go to bed. Y/n laid in bed under the blankets. She typed away on her phone, catching up on all the missed social media action from the day.
She had hoped her son, Eli, was settled in for the night. Derek was in the bathroom finishing up his nightly routine. He walked out of the bathroom with his toothbrush hanging out of his mouth.
"Eli in bed?" He asked continuing to brush his teeth.
"I think so." She nodded and watched him relax slightly.
"Okay good." He walked back into the bathroom and spat out the toothpaste. He rinsed and turned off the bathroom light. He walked to his side of the bed and removed his shirt before getting into bed. He groaned as he got in and sighed when he got comfortable.
"That was a groan of an aging man."
"I am not aging. I'm just tired."
"Whatever you say honey." She chuckled and set her turned off phone on the bedside table. She turned on her side and cuddled into her husbands chest.
"It's so quiet." Derek whispered into her hair before he kissed the top of her head.
"I know. It seems so rare for us."
"And we only have one kid." Derek scoffed.
"And he's almost an adult."
"I'm just glad we stopped at one."
"Me too." Y/n laughed knowing she was definitely more appreciative they stopped at one than Derek.
It was getting later and later and they had both assumed Eli was asleep until their door squeaked open. Y/n shifted her tired gaze from her sleeping husbands chest to the moving door. She saw Eli meekly looking into the room and sat up.
"Hey baby. Everything okay?"
"I had a nightmare."
"Oh sweetie." She held out her hand for him to come in and take it. He shuffled in and sat on the edge of the bed. It was then that y/n could see the tears coating her sons cheeks and she knew then it was serious.
Derek had stirred and turned to see his family congregating on the other side of the bed.
"Everything okay?" He asked with a tired voice.
"He just had a nightmare." Y/n whispered trying not to disturb Derek's sleepiness "I've got it. You can go back to sleep."
"Okay." Derek turned back over and went back to sleep.
"Want to talk about it baby? It might help." Y/n whispered to her son.
"Sure."
"Okay let's go back to your bed and we can talk about it. Let's let the beast sleep in peace." She chuckled. Eli cracked a smile and stood up. When they got to his room he got back in bed and y/n sat next to him. She brushed the hair out of his face and sighed.
"Okay, tell me about your dream."
"I don't even really know how to explain it. I just felt scared and a lot of dread. And then when my dream went on I saw dad. And he was... dead. And i got scared so I tried to find you but you were gone. And my entire dream I was crying about dad and trying so hard to find you. I am exhausted." The tears started to stream again.
"That sounds really stressful. I'm sorry you had a scary dream." She continued to stroke his hair.
"It felt so real." He sniffled and wiped his eyes.
"It wasn't real. I know it feels real and the pain hurts like it's real. But it's not. It was just a scary dream. I will always be here and your dad is very much alive... sometimes unfortunately for us..."
Eli laughed and y/n dried his eyes.
"Do you want me to stay here with you tonight?"
"What about dad?"
"I think he will enjoy a bed to himself for once."
"Okay." He scooted over and y/n crawled under with him.
She pulled him close and wrapped her arms around his head in a protective motion.
"Am I too old for this?" Eli asked quietly as he closed his eyes.
"You are never too old to ask for comfort. Especially not from me. Even when you're married with kids you can ask for comfort from your mom. Maybe not laying in the same bed but right now you're still little."
"I'm 15 mom."
"Shhhhhh. You're still my baby. When you're older the boundaries may change but I will always be here to help you."
"Thanks mom."
"No problem." She kissed his head and closed her eyes.
The door opened quietly and Derek saw his wife and son talking quietly.
"Going alright in here without me?"
"Yeah. Wanna join us?"
"For a little bit sure."
Derek scooted in on the other side of Eli.
"You okay buddy?"
"Yeah, just a scary dream."
"I used to get those a lot after my parents died."
"You did?" Eli asked looking at him.
"Yeah. It took a while for them to go away. Even when I met your mom I would get them occasionally. But after we got married and especially after we had you, they stopped."
"Why?"
"I think because I wasn't scared I was alone anymore. I always knew that your mom was next to me. Or I could always find you and play a game or watch a movie with you. When I knew I wasn't alone, I wasn't scared anymore. It gave me strength."
"What did I tell you?" She looked at Eli "You have me and your dad right here. So there's no need to be scared." Y/n smiled at him, thankful Derek had said the same thing.
"Thanks guys."
"You're welcome son."
It got quiet and Eli felt his eyes getting heavy. He closed his eyes feeling the warmth of his parents by his sides. His head started to feel lighter making him fall deeper into a sleep. The crickets also lulled him to sleep like they usually did. Y/n felt her body relaxing next to her son and husband. Derek was trying not to fall asleep so he could move back to his bed. He finally made the move to head back to their own bed. He asked y/n if she was going to come back but she just shook her head no. He kissed her goodnight and closed the door behind him. She yawned and turned away from Eli who shuffled away from her. She considered going back to her own bed but her loose body felt too heavy to get up.
She wondered if she should say goodnight to her son but decided not to disturb the silence.
She cozied into the pillow and closed her eyes. She was ready to go to sleep.